New App - Beta Testing Opportunity

Hi,

We have developed a new app that supports Text to Speech, and also foot pedal control for segment navigation and voice playback.  The details are here:

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/w/customer-experience/5078/sdl-tts

If anyone is interested in this kind of solution, which is extremely helpful for reviewing (listen to source while reading the target, or vice versa), especially when working with NMT or Quality Assessment, please let me know and I will make the current Beta version available to you.

Regards

Paul.

• Hi Paul. I am very interested. I use Dragon to proofread but having an in-built tool sounds so much better.

• Hello. I am setting up the cognitive service and there's a notice about Bing Search Services:

"Microsoft will use data you send to Bing Search Services to improve Microsoft products and services. Where you send personal data to this service, you are responsible for obtaining sufficient consent from the data subjects. The Data Protection Terms in the Online Services Terms do not apply to Bing Search Services."

Does this mean that the information sent to the Azure will be sent to Bing Services as well or is it a different thing altogether?

---

Another question about the pricing. I reckon the Cognitive Service feature for this service is 'Speech Requests'. Which is priced at $5.50 per 1,000 transactions.

What constitutes a transaction for the purposes of SDL TTS?

-----

It seems that I am stuck. I am working on a project prepared by my client, in which the target is Spanish (United States), this is my main target language. But it looks like "Microsoft Service doesn't have support for: Spanish (United States)"

I could go ahead and manually change the language in the bilingual file for test purposes, but this is not practical for a real work scenario.

Is there a workaround?

• Hi

Does this mean that the information sent to the Azure will be sent to Bing Services as well or is it a different thing altogether?

Great question... can you tell me where you saw this, or send me a link?  My guess is this is not the same thing because we are not using Bing Services.  But given I have never seen anything like this dring the signup process it would be helpful to have the link to where you saw this.

Another question about the pricing. I reckon the Cognitive Service feature for this service is 'Speech Requests'. Which is priced at $5.50 per 1,000 transactions.

What constitutes a transaction for the purposes of SDL TTS?

That would be incorrect... it is very complicated!  You need to look at "Speech Services":

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/details/cognitive-services/speech-services/

There is a free model first and you are entitled to these:

Standard 5M characters for free per month
    Neural 0.5M characters for free per month

Standard or Neural depends on how you are setup and in which region you are using:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/speech-service/language-support

It seems that I am stuck. I am working on a project prepared by my client, in which the target is Spanish (United States), this is my main target language. But it looks like "Microsoft Service doesn't have support for: Spanish (United States)"

I could go ahead and manually change the language in the bilingual file for test purposes, but this is not practical for a real work scenario.

Is there a workaround?

Indeed, the supported languges are here under "Text-to-speech", not "Speech-to-text":

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/speech-service/language-support

Looks like only es-ES and es-MX are supported.  I think we could map them however.  Let me know which one you would prefer to see this mapped to and I'l investgiage whether we can make this possible via a settings file of some sort so users could map their own.

Thanks for your feedback though Claudia... very helpful.

Paul.

• Hi Paul.

About the Bing Services, it was shown at the bottom of the new Cognitive Service screen.

That would be incorrect... it is very complicated!  You need to look at "Speech Services":

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/details/cognitive-services/speech-services/

There is a free model first and you are entitled to these:

Standard 5M characters for free per month
    Neural 0.5M characters for free per month

Standard or Neural depends on how you are setup and in which region you are using:

Thanks! That certainly looks much better.

About the languages, I mostly use es-US for one of my largest clients. Having the option to map other sub-languages would be great.

The installation itself went very smooth. I'm running the app in the latest Beta.

One thing about the wiki: maybe you could add to the guide that it's better to the check the Account regions on the app first, THEN create the service on Azure. I chose Brazil as my region since I'm in South America, but Brazil wasn't available for the TTS. No biggie, I just created a new account.

• First real issue.

Selecting a text outside the Studio environment (Chrome) and clicking on the Play button causes it to crash. The handle bar is visible even outside Studio so I had to try

• Selecting a text outside the Studio environment (Chrome) and clicking on the Play button causes it to crash. The handle bar is visible even outside Studio so I had to try

Do you use two screens by any chance?  I'm wondering if you moved Studio to another screen after activating the TTS?  Generally if you minimise Studio the TTS bar will go with it, but if you move to another screen it won't.  So you need to move screens and then actiate the TTS.  Noticed this during the week but the developer could not find a way to control this yet.

Good catch though because I'm sure everyone will try the same thing... I would!

• About the Bing Services, it was shown at the bottom of the new Cognitive Service screen.

Got it... I think this is there beause "Search" is one of the services offerred under Cognitive Services.  We are not using it.

One thing about the wiki: maybe you could add to the guide that it's better to the check the Account regions on the app first, THEN create the service on Azure. I chose Brazil as my region since I'm in South America, but Brazil wasn't available for the TTS.

Good idea... we'll make that change.

• I got another issue. The source is read when I use the shortcut for 'Confirm and move to...'. Using the button reads the text in the target normally. I tried changing the shortcut but I still get the same problem. The languages I'm using are en-US-es-ES and I have set Target as the playback language.

The 'Confirm and playback' shortcut works normally.

So far, I like it. The buttons work perfectly and 'Playback all segments' works as expected.

The shortcuts are a bit unresponsive. I can't figure out how but if I move the cursor manually to activate a segment, the next segment might or might not be read. Whereas, if I use the arrows to activate the segment, the shortcuts are more responsive.

--

It seems that I can't use the 'Confirm and move to...' shortcut on translated segments, is that right? Personally, I would love to use this tool on confirmed segments, specially for reviewing.

Another good addition would be having a 'Confirm and move to the next segment command'.

I got one crash while working using the app, I don't know why though. I have attached the xml file but I don't have a TTS Logs folder yet. I will be trying the app again next week. I looks very promising!

sdlerror-2019105-15h13m55s.sdlerror.xml
    <SDLErrorDetails time="10/5/2019 3:14:05 PM">
      <ErrorMessage>Cannot set Visibility or call Show, ShowDialog, or WindowInteropHelper.EnsureHandle after a Window has closed.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.InvalidOperationException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>PresentationFramework</Source>
        <HResult>-2146233079</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at System.Windows.Window.VerifyCanShow()
       at System.Windows.Window.Show()
       at SdlTts.ViewModel.TtsViewModel.<ListenSegments>b__123_0()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback)
       at SdlTts.ViewModel.TtsViewModel.<ListenSegments>d__123.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
       at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>15.0.0.0</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>15.2.4.1527</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Home</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>1033</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>LAPPY-CLAUDIA\claud</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>LAPPY-CLAUDIA</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>8191872 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

PS. I was using both the Beta and the released versions of Studio but not at the same time.

• Do you use two screens by any chance?

Do you mean two monitors? I am working on my laptop only but I usually use two monitors. However, I factory reset my system yesterday and I haven't used my external monitor yet. But do see that minimizing studio removed the handle bar.

• The source is read when I use the shortcut for 'Confirm and move to...'. Using the button reads the text in the target normally. I tried changing the shortcut but I still get the same problem. The languages I'm using are en-US-es-ES and I have set Target as the playback language.

Good catch... actually the problem is the text.  If you hover over it the text should say this:

So the behaviour is exactly as was requested by a user testing a very early alpha build - .  That shortcut is supposed to read the source of the next segment after confirming.

It seems that I can't use the 'Confirm and move to...' shortcut on translated segments, is that right? Personally, I would love to use this tool on confirmed segments, specially for reviewing.

Agreed... I picked that up last week so we will improve on that.

I got one crash while working using the app, I don't know why though.

Thanks... we will look at it.

• Do you mean two monitors?

Yes, I did.  But your answer confirms that wasn't the issue!

• So the behaviour is exactly as was requested by a user testing a very early alpha build - .  That shortcut is supposed to read the source of the next segment after confirming.

Got it. Have a great weekend.

• Hi Paul,

I am also interested - I have also used Dragon and Word to playback texts while reviewing and this would make the process more convenient. 

Many thanks,

Daniel

• Hi (and ),

We have just released an updated version to resolve some teething problems with the mapping solution we implemented.  I'll drop you an e-mail with the details for download.

Regards

Paul