ModernMT plugin paid?

Hi

On the AppStore, it looks like the DeepL plugin is free and the ModernMT plugin is paid, but to me it looks like both plugins are free and both require a subscription to the service, which of course is paid.

If I am correct then I would suggest calling both plugins free and (if you want to) pointing in the explanatory text that it requires a paid subscription to the MT provider.

Daniel

Parents
  • Thanks for this input. Given the plugins are useless without a subscription, or without contacting the vendor for a trial, I have changed DeepL so it is also "Paid".  I think that reflects the true nature of the plugins.  If they operated immediately with a certain amount of characters for free for example then I think we can call them free, and specifiy the parameters under which they are free.  But they don't.

• My 2 cents: That contradicts with the meaning of "paid" and "free" for other plugins, where it denotes whether user has to pay to get the plugin itself or not.

So from my perspective, the only correct and transparent way is to mark the plugin itself as Free AND add a clear note that it needs a paid 3rd party service for its functionality.

• My 2 cents: That contradicts with the meaning of "paid" and "free" for other plugins, where it denotes whether user has to pay to get the plugin itself or not.

It is an interesting discussion point Evzen. On one hand I think we need to go through all the plugins and follow this rule:

1. If it offers any free functionality as it is then it's free

2. If it offers no functionality without having to pay then it's paid

That provides a simple two rule consistent approach. I know there are slight adaptations to these principles but that doesn't change the two points above from being correct.  I think being able to get a "free" plugin that serves no useful purpose whatsoever without paying for an additional software can be seen as more of a falsehood.

I used to be of the same opinion as you, but the more I think about it the more I think it's disingenuous to do anything else. The "free" QA plugins such as Verifika and Antodote for example... certainly the plugins are free but they serve no purpose unless you have a paid licence for the Verifika and Antidote applications.

I do see your point, and probably the best solution would be to have an additional field rather than just mark them all as free and add a comment.  Users filter on free and whilst you would not know this, I can tell you I often receive complaints from users who didn't realise they also had to pay for the other software... sometimes saying they only purchased Studio to be able to use this "free" plugin.

So I do think we need more definite clarity over this and adding notes into the description alone isn't enough.  We really need an additional filtering field so it carries more weight when users look at it.

• Well, but then you are not marking the plugin as free or paid, but are marking as free or paid the 3rd party functionality or service mediated by that plugin.
    And that's completely different thing than what the free/paid attribute has been telling so far.

Moreover, what if the 3rd party changes its conditions one day? A free one can start monetizing, and vice versa.
    Are you going to check the conditions of all the mediated services every single day in order to provide the correct information? I don't think so.

And what if the mediated service is BOTH free and paid (freemium model)? How are you going to solve this?

I really don't see any reason why on earth would you have to (or want to) replace a users' common sense... it's their responsibility to use their brains and it's their responsibility to understand how things work.
    Are you really willing to take the risk that some brainless user will sue you because "your website claimed XYZ and it's not true"?

It's absolutely NOT about any disingenuousity... it's about keeping the responsibility for making decisions on users themselves, so that they are not degenerating more and more every day just because companies for some weird reasons frantically clean every possible piece of decision-making from their way, contributing massively to the degeneration of (western) human race :( :( :(

• Users filter on free and whilst you would not know this, I can tell you I often receive complaints from users who didn't realise they also had to pay for the other software... sometimes saying they only purchased Studio to be able to use this "free" plugin.

Then it's your role to politely explain them that they are just dumb and simply did not get how the things work... and that next time they should READ and UNDERSTAND the available information FIRST.

I'm sorry, but just rushing to a shop and blindly paying a couple hundreds of Euros for something what they don't even know how it works, is simply dumb. And only confirms that humans are alarmingly degenerating!

• Users filter on free and whilst you would not know this, I can tell you I often receive complaints from users who didn't realise they also had to pay for the other software... sometimes saying they only purchased Studio to be able to use this "free" plugin.

Then it's your role to politely explain them that they are just dumb and simply did not get how the things work... and that next time they should READ and UNDERSTAND the available information FIRST.

I'm sorry, but just rushing to a shop and blindly paying a couple hundreds of Euros for something what they don't even know how it works, is simply dumb. And only confirms that humans are alarmingly degenerating!

Children
No Data