ModernMT plugin paid?

Hi

On the AppStore, it looks like the DeepL plugin is free and the ModernMT plugin is paid, but to me it looks like both plugins are free and both require a subscription to the service, which of course is paid.

If I am correct then I would suggest calling both plugins free and (if you want to) pointing in the explanatory text that it requires a paid subscription to the MT provider.

Daniel

Parents Reply
  • Moreover, what if the 3rd party changes its conditions one day? A free one can start monetizing, and vice versa.

That's actually the most compelling thing you've said. Although the providers would tell us if they changed their conditions.

Are you going to check the conditions of all the mediated services every single day in order to provide the correct information? I don't think so.

No, why should I. It's the providers of the plugins who provide the text, not me.  If the conditions change for the plugins we have developed then we'll change the text, but otherwise it's up to the developer.

It's absolutely NOT about any disingenuousity... it's about keeping the responsibility for making decisions on users themselves, so that they are not degenerating more and more every day just because companies for some weird reasons frantically clean every possible piece of decision-making from their way, contributing massively to the degeneration of (western) human race :( :( :(

I hardly agree here at all. It's about clarity and providing the best approach to ensure everyone understands clearly what's on offer.  If we took your view there's a lot of things we would not have to do at all... even things you often complain about.  Our more senior developers for example often wonder what your problem is but they don't visit the forum and tell you how stupid you are because you are unable to find out things for yourself that they would do as a matter of course.

But as I already said before you turned this into a rather distasteful discussion it is an interesting discussion point and we won't make any more changes until we've talked this through internally.  It was useful to read your very strong feelings on this and I do think we need to address this with changes to the website as well as the text, whichever way we decide to go.

Children
  • Hi and

I did not know what avalanche I would trigger with my little post... I share Evzen's understanding of "free" though - the plugin is free. When I looked at the costs I thought, well I pay for ModernMT and I will have to pay for this plugin too! (Which is not the case as I found out after installing it.)

Some Apps are what I would call "Trial", they offer reduced functionality unless the user pays (e.g. Excelling Studio), some are genuinely free like CADF or TermInjector, some are paid, you have to pay to get the plugin or to get it to work.

Then there is that connector type like DeepL etc. which are free, but useless without a subscription.

Can't you define more than "free" and "paid" as field values?

Free - CADF, TermInjector ...

Freemium - Excelling Studio

Paid (and I would include "Trial"-Software here) - RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler

Free Connector to Paid Service (you'd have to find a suitable name here) - DeepL... all MT providers, Rigi ...

Just a thought. 

Daniel

BTW your "Pricing information" field does not seem to accept HTML:

• It's the providers of the plugins who provide the text, not me.  If the conditions change for the plugins we have developed then we'll change the text, but otherwise it's up to the developer.

So there will be chaos over the time. No one is going to do that... either because they won't care, or they will simply forget.

It's about clarity and providing the best approach to ensure everyone understands clearly what's on offer. 

Sure, that's what I said - one or two simple and clearly worded sentences is what it takes.
    Just like one can see e.g. in descriptions for mobile apps which require data plan - these usually say something like that using them "may incur additional fees"... so such simple notice that "using the 3rd party service mediated by this plugin may require separate paid subscription with the service 3rd party service provider" and that users should "check the service conditions" should be perfectly enough. That's all.

senior developers for example often wonder what your problem is but they don't visit the forum and tell you how stupid you are because you are unable to find out things for yourself

I would be perfectly fine with that, if it's accompanied by a pointer to where I can find the information by myself.
    That's the point - I end up asking here only after spending hours and days by my own research (and often after being basically sure that there is a problem somewhere else than on my side - let's admit that I do have quite some experience). Still, it can be that I'm totally off and wrong, no problem...
    If someone says "hey stoopid, it took me 2 clicks in Google to find it at http://blablabla", I'm perfectly fine with admitting that I'm indeed stupid that I didn't find it myself...

before you turned this into a rather distasteful discussion

I don't understand what you're talking about...
    There is nothing "distasteful", there just a naked truth... It's not my fault that the truth is so hard that it can be difficult for some to face it.

• Can't you define more than "free" and "paid" as field values?

Free - CADF, TermInjector ...

Freemium - Excelling Studio

Paid (and I would include "Trial"-Software here) - RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler

Free Connector to Paid Service (you'd have to find a suitable name here) - DeepL... all MT providers, Rigi ...

I'm afraid not... trivial though it may sound.

This of course is a good solution and we did make a request to have a change similar to this introduced last year. But internally there is rather a large backlog and this change has not made it anywhere near to the top of the list yet.  I imagine if anyone read this thread it might help our cause!

I'm going to reverse the change I made to the DeepL plugin on the basis I'm now outnumbered 2:1 and will instead make the correction to the ModernMT plugin and mark it as free with an appropriate change to the text.  Hopefully we'll get to a better solution sooner rather than much later.

• I don't understand what you're talking about...
    There is nothing "distasteful", there just a naked truth... It's not my fault that the truth is so hard that it can be difficult for some to face it.

Of course you don't Evzen... if you did we would probably see far less aggressive and opinionated posts from you in general.