Legacy Converter

Two questions:

1) Which programs can use the Word files that the Legacy Converter converts into?

2) Do the TTX files that this app produces work for people? I am trying to convert them to other formats and get errors like  "WARNING: Attribute Lang is missing in Tuv (after text unit '0')" (Okapi)

Daniel

• The tool was originally developed to work with Translators Workbench (TWB) and any CAT tool that could support TTX/BilingualDoc but not SDLXLIFF.  It's less relevant these days since most tools supprt SDLXLIFF by now, but that was the original use case.

I have used it recently in TWB and it seemed to work just fine.  But I personally haven't ever tried to take files from here and use them in Okapi.

• I see. The good thing about this tool is that it can update from a less sophisticated format... if it could convert sdlxliff into plain xliff and update the sdlxliff from the returned xliff it would be the killer app for collaboration with translators who don't use Studio.

Daniel

• Funny you should mention this... we've thought about this a few times but each time we look at it nobody can agree what a "vanilla" XLIFF is.  This is one of the problems with XLIFF!  We have a few samples of a vanilla flavour requested by other tools, but they are all different.

I quite like the idea of using XLIFF:Doc that was promoted by the "Interoperability Now" initiative, but never really took off.  That at least tries to be a little more prescriptive and keeps things simple.

• I understand - I have seen gruesome "XLIFF" files: A mere wrapper just to be able to say "this tool supports XLIFF."

These "smallest common denominator" approaches will always have the taste of inadequacy I guess, but in practice it is enough (if I may say so) to state: "Our tool exports this as vanilla XLIFF, it's our take on the specifications and is widely supported." And XLIFF is widely supported.

I can convert to plain XLIFF with Okapi and hand files over to users of Wordfast Pro, MemoQ, MemSource, OmegaT etc., read their returned xlf files and convert them into TMX. (Conversions into SDLXLIFF for PerfectMatch were not so successful, even if the source file was SDLXLIFF. Okapi does not seem to manage the return conversion in every case although sometimes it does. (WF Classic is terrible - is it compatibe with anything but itself?)

To do this without the Okapi excursion would be so much more efficient - I wish this app could be developed accordingly. You must have the conversion routines already, since you are converting sdlxliff back into xlf if the source file was xliff with the normal file types...

Daniel

• I can convert to plain XLIFF

This brings me back to my original question... what is plain XLIFF?  Do you have a ready spec for what you consider plain XLIFF?

I wish this app could be developed accordingly. You must have the conversion routines already, since you are converting sdlxliff back into xlf if the source file was xliff with the normal file types...

Well... I have spoken to the original developer of this app, who actually works with SDL now, and he would not do this.  He doesn't like the underlying code or the way it works.  It was written a long time ago... maybe around Studio 2011, I really can't recall now.  But I am interested in doing something around this as I agree it has value.

I have had this requirement on our appstore backlog for a long time already, but no real requirement from enough people to make me put this in front of other things we are working on.  If there was more support in here we could consider tackling this sooner.