Adding to a non-default termbase?

I would love to be able to select the termbase when using QuickAdd to add a term.  Why?  For Q&A purposes I use a client-specific TB as the default TB(1).  But sometimes while translating I come across a term that I would like to add to my Master TB(2).  QuickAdd automatically adds the term to #1.

• Indeed, this is something that has always been lacking in Studio.  To fix this would require a major rewrite for the development team and it's never had the priority it should.

There is a simple workaround that might be useful.  If you use the "Termexcelerator" app from the appstore you can easily add in where the term should be added as you go.  You do this with a spreadsheet used as a termbase specifically for the project you are working on, like this:

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing the Termexcelerator app in use, with an Excel spreadsheet open for adding terms directly during a project.

You can also have proper termbases for lookup, but just use the spreadsheet for this project.  Then, at the end of the job use the Glossary Converter to create your customers termbase and import into your Master.  This is easily achieved either by filtering, or simply creating separate spreadsheets.  It's also easier to tidy the terms up, add synonyms etc. after the event just by working through the spreadsheet.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:28 PM (GMT 0) on 28 Feb 2024]