Studio 64-bit?

Is there any plan on making Trados Studio a 64-bit application?

• This is always an interesting topic that we have discussed many times internally and the development team is working on updating Studio with each release so it can eventually take proper advantage of a 64-bit environment.  But in the meantime perhaps this information from the development team will help put things into perspective.

The upshot is that moving to 64-bit is not going to make Studio faster. Moving to 64-bit will allow Studio to use more memory but that doesn’t mean it'll be faster unless we optimise the Studio code too. These optimisations can be obtained while on 32-bit and we are already starting to move certain processing tasks outside of the Studio main processes so that we can have a more performant application. This is the same process that applications such as Chrome and Visual Studio adopted. Having said this there are some situations when processing very large files where 64-bit would indeed be an advantage.

An interesting thing is to look at what other companies do. Microsoft Office for example still runs on a 32-bit version even though they have a 64-bit version available, and most users prefer this because it's hard to migrate any automation (macros etc.) away from it. There is a very interesting read in that regard: searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/.../Office-32-bit-versus-64-bit In particular the section on the benefits of staying 32-bit. It perhaps gives you some idea of the potential effort involved in moving to 64-bit and also where it may even be more problematic for quite some time.

It's also worth noting that Studio is flagged largeaddressaware so can use up to 4GB per running instance. If users find that they were are having issues with projects approaching 4gb, they would have to be quite large.

• Are there any updates on when a 64-bit version will be available? I'm processing multiple files of the same project at the moment, around 11 with a total of almost 1 M words.

I have to delete the content of these files and have been waiting for Trados to complete "Clear Target segments" for nearly half an hour by now.

I'm still using Trados 2021, are there any speed increases in Trados 2022 that would help my current scenario? I've held off from "upgrading" as I did not notice any differences in processing speeds between 2021 and the previous licenses I had.

emoji