Still no top-down layout (or above-below-editor) in SDL 2021????

Will there be a top-down layout (or above-below-editor) in SDL 2021????

Or are you still using old technology like DOS as a base?

Parents Reply Children
  • Yes, but offering an Online Editor actually makes fools out of those of us that buy the full version. The advantage is disappearing when companies can just let virtually anybody work of their licences - and yes, they do - I have worked for several that offer me that possibility.... 

Anyway, do think about that in the future - unless that is on purpose - 

• Yes, but offering an Online Editor actually makes fools out of those of us that buy the full version.

Explain?

The idea here is that you could create your project in Studio but publish to the cloud, and then you have the option to work on your files either in Studio, or in the cloud.  This means you could translate in Studio where the features are probably better for you and arguably the side by side is more productive anyway.

Then, you could switch to the online editor for your own project and review it in the cloud using the layout you prefer.

That's just an example, but the idea is you have the best of both worlds and could even do the work on a tablet which is a far cry from DOS as a base!

• aha.... so as a one-person, freelance company I would have to publish to the cloud breaking all kinds of data protection agreements with my clients - that could be a problem - but anyway you say that this would enable me to work in the online editor - that would be an option.

So how am I protected from you when working in the cloud?

OK - thanks for this answer.

My"problem" with those online platforms is that often it makes it an unnecessary investment to buy a version of the tool when primarily working for translation companies. Most of these lend out licenses to both Studio, MemoQ and other platforms. If SDL wants to go this route - which you will soon be forced to given your following the others - there will be no point in owning the software.

A better strategy in my opinion would be to make features that are so kickass that nobody else can supply them AND exclusively making them available in the installation versions.