Using existing termbases and TMs online in sync

I struggled to create online a first online Trados 2021 project and when done (I was surprised to have to assign customers to get all elements created linked to one customer, like language processing rule, file type configurations, translations engines, translations memories and terminology as it is going to be very quickly a maze of configuration files impossible to manage?) I could quite nicely Open the created project in Online Editor or Open in Studio from the Inbox.

What is totally missing is the same mechanism being applied to the TMs and to the Termbases, as you need to get them updated in sync regardless of the fact you are working in Online Editor or in Studio.

If this sync mechanism between TMs and to the Termbases does not exist, the Online Editor feature is absolutely useless.

Other comments

1) I could not figure out how to add a new term in the online termbase.
You cannot select a source term and a target term and hit Ctrl+F2 to get the Termbase Viewer and the Termbase Definition is nowhere to be seen.

2) I could not find a way to get Show Whitespace characters working meaningfully instead of appearing randomly in the first line of each segments mixed up with the text (Firefox browser).

3) Could not succeed in selecting 2 segments to merge.

4) What should be possible is to create a project in Studio and then, to be able to Open it in the Online Editor.

This editor is probably a work in progress far away to be useful and workable compared to working within Trados.

Parents
  • Thanks for your feedback.  This solution certainly is more complex than a quick glance would suggest and needs some careful planning before you launch in.  So a few thoughts on your post that I hope will help.

I was surprised to have to assign customers to get all elements created linked to one customer, like language processing rule, file type configurations, translations engines, translations memories and terminology as it is going to be very quickly a maze of configuration files impossible to manage?

It's very important to understand the folder hierarchy and inheritance of permissions to avoid having a very difficult structure to manage.  Trados Live Essentials is basically a cut down version of Trados Live Team where the complexity and permissions are a lot more important.  In time I think we'll probably have a more simplified solution of this for Freelance users, but for the time being you should review the help documentation and in particular this part:

https://docs.sdl.com/812699/807418/sdl-trados-live-essential/account-structure--folders--inheritance

What is totally missing is the same mechanism being applied to the TMs and to the Termbases, as you need to get them updated in sync regardless of the fact you are working in Online Editor or in Studio.

Absolutely agree.  The solutions to this are a work in progress.

I could not figure out how to add a new term in the online termbase.
    You cannot select a source term and a target term and hit Ctrl+F2 to get the Termbase Viewer and the Termbase Definition is nowhere to be seen.

This isn't possible yet in the Online Editor... it will be in the future.  You can add terms through Studio though.

I could not find a way to get Show Whitespace characters working meaningfully instead of appearing randomly in the first line of each segments mixed up with the text (Firefox browser).

Can you share a screenshot of your problem?  I see this which looks ok to me:

Could not succeed in selecting 2 segments to merge.

It's actually easier than in Studio.  Just press Ctrl+Alt+S or use this ribbon icon under Home -> Other Actions and the next segment will be merged:

So no need to select multiple segments as you would in Studio.

What should be possible is to create a project in Studio and then, to be able to Open it in the Online Editor.

This is possible already.  But you must create the project for the cloud in Studio and don't create a local project.  I agree it would be much better to be able to create projects as you do now and just synch them with the cloud, but this sort of capability is also a work in progress.  So for now, if this is what you want use this option when creating your projects:

Or this one:

This editor is probably a work in progress far away to be useful and workable compared to working within Trados.

Certainly it is a work in progress but for many things it's already better,  For review for example I think the ability to be able to switch to a horizontal layout instead of side-by-side and with it's clean look makes it a very nice environment.  But I guess it's horses for courses and definitely a product we'll see improving a lot over the coming months/years.

So your feedback is excellent... thank you.

• Thank you,

At least for the moment, I can share this set of snapshots coming from 4 segments in my test file showing the scrambling on the first or first two lines coming from Show Whitespace characters turned on. Quite strange.

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing scrambled text on the first two lines due to Show Whitespace characters feature being turned on.

One more example

Close-up view of Trados Studio with text scrambling visible on the first line, caused by the Show Whitespace characters option.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:33 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
Reply Children
  • This scrambling issue does not appear in Chrome. 

About the Merge, I am still no getting the Other Actions, when I select one segment to merge to the next

Trados Studio screenshot showing the 'Other Actions' dropdown menu with options 'Merge Segments', 'Split Segment', and 'Edit Source'.

How about to merge 3 segments without selecting all 3, if the Merge works with the next. Repeat the command?

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:33 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • I can reproduce this in Firefox... thank you.  I'll log it.

How about to merge 3 segments without selecting all 3, if the Merge works with the next. Repeat the command?

Exactly.  

• I tried to create a New Cloud project and got lost in a maze of new fields to answer to get the project created and at the end I got a read only file Online.

The translation provider I was asked to create and this was a confusing step would not work within Studio. (Error message: An error has while occurred using the translation provider Trados NMT : Language Cloud Translation Engine does support search with Segment.)

Again the lack of synchronization between my TMs in Studio and my Termbases in Multiterm is a big issue as I cannot use them online. As far as I can tell, I will have to wait for this sync functionalities to be available and working.

• at the end I got a read only file Online.

This is because you have to accept your own files before you can translate them.  Go to your Inbox and select the file, then accept them.  Crazy I know... something I hope we see improved in due course for single users.

The translation provider I was asked to create and this was a confusing step would not work within Studio. (Error message: An error has while occurred using the translation provider Trados NMT : Language Cloud Translation Engine does support search with Segment.)

I don't really understand what you were doing here.  Adding a MT provider or a TM?

Again the lack of synchronization between my TMs in Studio and my Termbases in Multiterm is a big issue as I cannot use them online.

You have to create your TMs online and then use them from there at all times.  If you create your projects through Studio or download them to Studio then you can always add your local TMs to your cloud project as well.  This way you'll update your cloud TM and your local TM as you work.  That would keep them in synch.

If you worked online only for a bit then you could run the updated TM batch task on the completed project to synch your local TMs afterwards.

• Thanks for all answers.

Termbase

I could import some terms in Excel format from my local Termbase. Screenshot of Trados Studio showing the Language Cloud with English terms visible but French terms missing in the termbase.

After the import, I can see the English part, but not the French part (I know it is there when I revered the languages) but both do not show side by side. Is is a bug?

Translation Memories

I could see that I populated my 2 TMs created Online and could check the content though TM Maintenance Editor, but I have not find an advanced Search functions like in Studio (The browser would search, but not replace).

Screenshot of Trados Studio's Translation Memories Maintenance Editor with two TMs listed but no advanced search function visible.

I imported an updated TM from my Studio projects, but the Online TM cannot be used to automatically populate the corresponding segments in the Online project, like it would in Studio.

Using F3 is the only way to see that you have some TM available and you have to copy the target part over. Not useful.

I just have to wait that some or all those issues are ironed out in the next Studio 2021 SR1.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:34 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • After the import, I can see the English part, but not the French part (I know it is there when I revered the languages) but both do not show side by side. Is is a bug?

Nope... you just need to be a little braver in your exploration.  Click on a term:

I could see that I populated my 2 TMs created Online and could check the content though TM Maintenance Editor, but I have not find an advanced Search functions like in Studio (The browser would search, but not replace).

The TM Editor is quite new and is a work in progress.  As this is a cloud solution the improvements will continue to be made as time goes by without you having to install anything.  The current editor looks like this (as you didn't share a screenshot of this):

I imported an updated TM from my Studio projects, but the Online TM cannot be used to automatically populate the corresponding segments in the Online project, like it would in Studio.

Yes it can.  If you have the TM attached when you create your project then the file will be pre-translated just like Studio.  If you add it afterwards then it will work interactively just like Studio... for example:

Using F3 is the only way to see that you have some TM available and you have to copy the target part over. Not useful.

No, if you click on the "Show Lookups Panel" then you'll see all the results from the resources you are using in your project:

If the results don't get populated into the target automatically you can double click the one you want, or use "Apply Translation" from the ribbon:

So no need to wait for these things as they are already here :-)

• Thank you.

I am making some progress with your very useful comments, last but not the least, I tried to remove a file from a project as I picked up the wrong file from my drive, and could not.

How can I remove Batch 2 here below?.

Trados Studio project window showing a list of files with 'Batch 2' highlighted and error icons next to file names indicating issues with removal.

Your answers from the previous post

After the import, I can see the English part, but not the French part (I know it is there when I revered the languages) but both do not show side by side. Is is a bug?

Nope... you just need to be a little braver in your exploration.  Click on a term:

I have seen that I can get one term to fully display, but what i wanted to see is the 2-column termbase displayed, as there is plenty of space to display it and it would be nice addition to log in for future updates

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:34 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • I have seen that I can get one term to fully display, but what i wanted to see is the 2-column termbase displayed, as there is plenty of space to display it and it would be nice addition to log in for future updates

Take my screenshot for example.  How would that work?  Termbases are not just one to one terms.  They can be multilingual and contain any amount of additional information based on any configuration you choose.

How can I remove Batch 2 here below?.

I don't think this is possible.  You probably need to complete that task and then add a new one.  can confirm for sure what the correct process is here.

• No, if you click on the "Show Lookups Panel" then you'll see all the results from the resources you are using in your project:

Trados Studio Lookups panel showing a translation memory match with a green checkmark indicating a 100% match, but the 'Apply Translation' button is not highlighted.

If the results don't get populated into the target automatically you can double click the one you want, or use "Apply Translation" from the ribbon:

Trados Studio ribbon with 'Apply Translation' button greyed out and not clickable, indicating it is unavailable for use.

So no need to wait for these things as they are already here :-)

Sorry, this part does not work in my setup. I could show the Lookup Panel and could see the imported TM displays what I wanted to get from the TM, but the double click did not work and the "Apply Translation" was not available.

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are also not activated in the browser and I could not get to replace the bad automatic translation in the target by the right translation from my imported TM.

See below (I have to blurry the image as it was an actual piece of work)

work Blurred screenshot of Trados Studio workspace with the Lookups panel open on the right side, unable to apply translation from the translation memory.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:35 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • So many different issues in this one thread.  If you have more please can you create separate threads as it's getting impossible to track and will be next to useless for others who are searching for an answer to one of the things you have also raised.

On the whitespace issue... this is now logged with development under our code CRQ-20662 for your reference.