Google Translate API - How to activate in SDL Trados Live?

Hi,

I just downloaded SDL Studio 2021 & wanted to create my first Cloud Project. I can add my TMs and Termbases without any problem, but I can't find where/how I can add Google Translate (even though in the documentation on SDL Trados Live, it says that this should be possible).

Has anyone else tried this (and succeeded)?

Many thanks in advance for the replies!

Gert

Parents
  • Can you clarify whether you are looking for Google Translate in Trados Live or in Trados Studio 2021?  I'm referring to the ability to add Google via the web interface in Trados Live OR to a Studio project whether it's a cloud project in Studio or a normal local project.

If the latter, then you need to download and install the MT Enhanced plugin from the appstore:

Trados Studio AppStore webpage showing MT Enhanced Plugin for Trados Studio with a description and option to download.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:08 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Hi Paul,

I can't add Google via the web interface in Trados Live. I installed the MT Enhanced plugin so in Studio on my desktop it works fine.

All the best,

Gert

• A long outstanding request has been for us to add support for Google AutoML.  In the new MT Enhanced Beta for Studio that we created we have added it.  And with Trados Live it has been provided.  I don't think yo understand the difference between the V2 and the V3 APIs or what AutoML is capable of providing you with.  It is a very complicated setup, created by Google and not SDL, but if you are able to read the documentation and understand it then you'll be able to follow it through.

I don't believe the V3 is something for you.  I think you need the simple put your API key in and that's it.  This is only available with the V2 API and we don't have support for this in Trados Live.

V3 allows you to do things like:

• build trained MT engines with your own data
    • use glossaries to influence the way the MT results are provided to you
    • have different MT models available to you for different situations

You cannot do this with the V2 API.

Your best bet for now is to just use MT Enhanced in Studio.  You can still create your projects in Trados Live if you like, then pre-translate them in Studio to get what you need.  Then work on them in the cloud if you prefer.

I guess they want us to use their machine translation.

You kind of annoyed me with this.  I have spent a whole thread trying to understand where you're coming from and to help you, only to realise you don't understand what you're looking at at all.  We also provide you with MT for free... so what have we got to gain from "forcing" you to use it by deliberately making Google difficult to use?

Think about it.

• I am sorry to hurt your feeling. My apology.

I am sure SDL will ask money for using their MT after a while. That is why I said that. Anyhow, the result in not so good, so I will not use it, even for free.

I tried to use the API Key while I am translating in my desktop program (with a cloud project) and it is not working also. I have error messages.

So I am coming back to Studio 2019 for the projects I need it. I do not want to have my documents pre translated. I use only MT for suggestions.

God bless you. Thank you for all your help.

• Good answer... and I apologise too.

After many years we have not charged for this for freelance translators. We do charge for equivalent features to Google AutoML.  Maybe we'll improve over time and offer an improved FR-AR as well.  Might be worth you checking in from time to time.

• Hi Paul,

As setting up access to Google Translate in Studio 2021 is very different from previous implementations and requires a separate download and installation, I think it will be a good idea to include the latest version of this specific plug-in in the Studio 2021 installation package. Otherwise, people will waste time to look for a solution, download, install, re-start, etc.

Best regards,

Pavel

• Once the plugin is installed the setup is exactly the same.  The problem in this thread is that Suzanne specifically wanted to know how to configure the V3 Google API in Trados Live and this is very different to the less functional one that used to be in Studio... the old V2 API.  This is Googles versioning, not ours.

Google was removed deliberately because we have several dozen translation providers and even when Google was part of the product it was not the most heavily used.  So having it separate and available as part of a download from the appstore is the most logical step and ensures a consistent approach across them all.  DeepL, MyMemory etc are used far more than Google and people don't have any problems finding these.

• Hi Pavel,

I installed this Plugin, but it is not working if it is a cloud project on DSL Trados Live Essential, even when I use my desktop program.

I suppose the reason is that the project settings are actually on the website, not on my desktop. 

• It does work... but I don't know how you are trying to use it.  You refer to a cloud project.  Can you tell me how you are trying to use it since you should be doing this in Studio in exactly the same way as you would do this for any project.

Tomorrow I'll create a short video to explain how these different plugins work, in the cloud and in Studio.  I think you have really confused this thread because you don't know the difference between the Google services that are being supported here, and I also don't think we can be sure about what you mean when you tell us something doesn't work in a cloud project.  You need to explain what you're trying to do and where you are trying to use it.  Screenshots would be a real help too.

• I created a cloud project and I open it with SDL Trados Studio Freelance 2021.

While I was translating one of the files of this cloud project, I opened the <Project setting> inside SDL Trados Studio Freelance 2020 and I download the plugin for Google Translate and I added my key. I went back to my editor to continue to translate the file and I was having error messages. This is not working. Is this more clear? I really do not understand what you are talking about concerning the different version of Google Translate.

• I use the SDL Live Essential Freelance to store my memory translation and my Termbase, but I am translating with SDL Trados Studio Freelance on my computer. If I am not at home, I use my laptop and I also have the SDL Trados Studio Freelance 2020 there. I also have some older versions. All my projects are actually on my 2019 version, except the clouds projets. Hope it is more clear. 

• I have created a video and tried to cover off all the issues currently experienced by threads I've read elsewhere and also in this one.  I hope it clarifies a few things:

• I have created a video and tried to cover off all the issues currently experienced by threads I've read elsewhere and also in this one.  I hope it clarifies a few things:

Children