Permissions problem with SDL Trados Live Essentials?

Has anyone checked what permission level Freelance translators are assigned when setting up Live Essentials? I ask because I am having the same problem as a number of people with terminology and TM lookups not showing in the online editor. I also recall seeing in the documentation for Live Essentials that some features in the online editor are restricted to Administrator accounts. Unfortunately, there is no information in the Account section of Live Essentials where I can see what role I have in the permissions tree, but I can see from checking on SDL Machine Translation Cloud that my account "Role" is "Translator", not "Admiinistrator". 

The problems I am having are as follows: when editing a Live Essentials Project in Trados Studio 2021, I get the following error message: 
Trados Studio error message stating 'An error has occurred while using the translation provider: Language Cloud Translation Engine does not support search with Segment.'

This seems to have cropped up before and I have seen that Paul has suggested that permissions may be a root cause.

Also, I am very keen to use the Online Editor for my projects, not least because I have a high DPI screen, and Trados can be a little hard to use sometimes, as it does not scale as well as other program interfaces. I am also very keen to use the new horizontal layout, which is a feature I have been hoping for.

However, when using the Online Editor, most terms from my termbase do not show up in the Lookup panel and any results that do show up in the lookup panel are not marked with the usual red lines in the editor and I cannot double click them to transfer them to my translation. When I double click a result, nothing happens at all.

I would be grateful for any help or advice that anyone can give. Any suggestions I have seen so far haven't helped.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 6:41 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
  • You seem to be asking quite a few different questions in here.  It's better to create separate threads for each one so each question can be answered and verified so it's easier for others with similar questions.

as anyone checked what permission level Freelance translators are assigned when setting up Live Essentials? I ask because I am having the same problem as a number of people with terminology and TM lookups not showing in the online editor.

For work with your own resources you should have all the admin rights you need.

I can see from checking on SDL Machine Translation Cloud that my account "Role" is "Translator", not "Admiinistrator"

Completely different thing.  Unless you have a paid SDL Machine Translation account you will never have admin rights.

The problems I am having are as follows: when editing a Live Essentials Project in Trados Studio 2021, I get the following error message: 
    Trados Studio error message indicating 'An error has occurred while using the translation provider: Language Cloud Translation Engine does not support search with Segment.'

Can you elaborate on this so we know what you were doing when you got this, and then we may be able to test and reproduce it.

However, when using the Online Editor, most terms from my termbase do not show up in the Lookup panel and any results that do show up in the lookup panel are not marked with the usual red lines in the editor and I cannot double click them to transfer them to my translation. When I double click a result, nothing happens at all.

Definitely would help if you raised a separate thread for this and provided screenshots so we can see what you are seeing etc.  I'm sure the explanation is good, but perhaps you are missing something on your screen that we might see and be able to help.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:41 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I have already solved the issue with the error message in Studio. This seemed to be caused by the Option "Perform search if the TM lookup returns no results" under Concordance Search in the Editor section of the Options in Studio 2021. It seems that a translation engine does not support looking up a whole segment in concordance, so this option was triggering an error every time Studio sent a whole segment to Language Cloud for a concordance search. Unticking the box cleared the error and I haven't triggered it since.

With regards to the errors in terminology lookups, it's a little tricky to give any more info, as I don't know what is causing it. The clearest description I can give is that when I activate a segment in the online editor, the terminology lookup is only returning matches that have been added via the online Terminology interface. Terms to the added to the termbase by an import and terms added using the desktop version of studio are not returned by the lookup. The red lines I refer to appear in the desktop version of Studio to show when a lookup has returned a match. They look like this in Studio:

Close-up of Trados Studio editor showing a red underline indicating a terminology match.

As it stands, I will use the desktop version of Studio for now, as that seems to work ok for me and I'm sure the issues with the online interface will be dealt with in time. I get the impression that the online capabilities will prove very useful, particularly when it comes to things like being able to use Dragon dictation software. Do you know if there are any plans to develop the UI further to add things like font customization?

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:42 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]