Can you add hyperlink to text in target segment in Trados Live?

Can it be done?

Parents
  • Only if it's in the source segment.  Essentially you transfer the same tags that control this in the source to the target.

If you simply wish to add new context altogether then you'll need to apply this to the target file.

• Would be nice if formatting can be applied to source text as well.

What do you mean by " If you simply wish to add new context altogether then you'll need to apply this to the target file"?

• I wouldn't be supportive of spending development time to make it possible to format the source.  The whole idea of a CAT is to replicate the source into the target and it was only recently (last few years) that we even supported editing the source at all.  In most controlled workflows editing the source is a non-starter and if things need to be changed they are always changed at source and the translation project is updated.  The biggest usecase for editing source is probably Freelancers (I think) who make changes to try and keep a "clean" translation memory.  But i my opinion even this is often a waste of time.  I can see why people want to do it, but if you think about the TM as a resource to help with productivity then changing what's in the TM so it no longer matches a potential update from the same client who consistently makes a mistake that you correct means you won't get a 100% match.

I guess you could add the TU twice, so you have a clean one after you correct it, but if you do that it's probably faster to do it in the TM results window and not by editing source at all.  It also means you could take the same approach when working with files in a package where editing the source "may" be undesirable from the perspective of your client.

What do you mean by " If you simply wish to add new context altogether then you'll need to apply this to the target file"?

Adding a hyperlink to something that wasn't there in the first place to provide context to the sentence (could be something else, like formatting... I used context because you are presumably trying to enrich the source with something that wasn't there at all before to provide more context for someone?)... for this sort of editing you would need to do it in the original source file.  Think about all the types of files that Studio supports.  Adding the possibility to do this for all filetypes that support the use of a hyperlink would be a huge amount of work.  Time that would be far better addressing other things.

• I wouldn't be supportive of spending development time to make it possible to format the source.  The whole idea of a CAT is to replicate the source into the target and it was only recently (last few years) that we even supported editing the source at all.  In most controlled workflows editing the source is a non-starter and if things need to be changed they are always changed at source and the translation project is updated.  The biggest usecase for editing source is probably Freelancers (I think) who make changes to try and keep a "clean" translation memory.  But i my opinion even this is often a waste of time.  I can see why people want to do it, but if you think about the TM as a resource to help with productivity then changing what's in the TM so it no longer matches a potential update from the same client who consistently makes a mistake that you correct means you won't get a 100% match.

I guess you could add the TU twice, so you have a clean one after you correct it, but if you do that it's probably faster to do it in the TM results window and not by editing source at all.  It also means you could take the same approach when working with files in a package where editing the source "may" be undesirable from the perspective of your client.

Adding a hyperlink to something that wasn't there in the first place to provide context to the sentence (could be something else, like formatting... I used context because you are presumably trying to enrich the source with something that wasn't there at all before to provide more context for someone?)... for this sort of editing you would need to do it in the original source file.  Think about all the types of files that Studio supports.  Adding the possibility to do this for all filetypes that support the use of a hyperlink would be a huge amount of work.  Time that would be far better addressing other things.

Children
  • There is a cloud software in the market that allows you to edit both the text and format of the source segment. Their software is not as colossal as Trados so I assume it's easier for them to deal with coding issues etc.

The ability to edit text and format of the source segment comes in handy in at least one scenario: when you are working on a draft of a document. In such scenario, you can translate and proofread simultaneously, without having to recreate a new project every time you want to correct typos or make format  changes to the source document.