Correction of numbers in Trados 2021

I am currently translating annual financial statements into English, and I have a lot of numbers in this document.

The number format in the source text looks like this: 123 456,78 and the number format in the target text is supposed to look like this: 123,456.78 (In his example, 78 represent decimal places).

Trados 2017 used to make this number conversion automatically and impeccably. I never even thought about it.

Trados 2021, however, is very inconsistent. Some of the target numbers are changed correctly, in others the comas are omitted for some reason. Target segments in the correct format alternate with target segments in the incorrect format. Why is that? How it can be fixed? I do not want to insert the comas manually because the document is too long and the whole purpose of Trados is to save translators from repetitive tasks. Precise instructions will be highly appreciated :).

Parents
  • It's actually pretty simple in 2021... I can get this:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing a comparison of number formats with and without thousand separators and decimal commas.

To do this you just need to change the rules in your TM:

Trados Studio Translation Memory settings window with the 'Numbers' tab selected, showing the process of editing number formats for a source language.

So I did this:

1. opened the TM in my project settings (clicked on Settings after selecting the TM)
    2. went to language resources
    3. edited numbers for whatever your source language is
    4. added a space for the thousand separator and a comma for the decimal
    5. made sure the target language number format at the top was the one I wanted:
      Close-up of the 'Number Formats' dialog in Trados Studio, highlighting the fields for thousand separator and decimal separator with an example number format displayed.

That's it.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:15 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Thank you. I have checked the settings. They are exactly the same as you have specified, i.e. exactly what I need.

However, the problem that I have described remains.

Some of the numbers in my translation project are converted correctly and others not. 

Here is an example of three consecutive segments (I don't know how to add a screenshot, sorry)

Source          Target

20 567           20,567

20 567           20567

1 567             1567

And it goes on like that throughout the document

Source            Target

264 323           264,323

264 323           264323

2 567               2567

etc, etc, etc.

So I ask again. Why is that? :)

It never happened in Trados 2017. 

• So I ask again. Why is that? :)

Well... let's try and think about what might be happening here.  I created a short..ish video while I played with this, using the numbers you just provided too.  Perhaps this will help you find where the problem lies.

If you want to add a screenshot, and this would certainly be helpful, just take your screenshot (presumably you know how to take a screenshot you just don't know how to add it?) and then paste it into your reply.  Just like pasting into a word file for example.

• So I ask again. Why is that? :)

Well... let's try and think about what might be happening here.  I created a short..ish video while I played with this, using the numbers you just provided too.  Perhaps this will help you find where the problem lies.

If you want to add a screenshot, and this would certainly be helpful, just take your screenshot (presumably you know how to take a screenshot you just don't know how to add it?) and then paste it into your reply.  Just like pasting into a word file for example.

Children