SDL Language Cloud Termbase either Returns No Terms or All Terms

Among other issues ( Adaptive TM not working nor Uplift), I have tried just about every setting imaginable (variants of character based or linguistic based search) and the SDL Language Cloud Termbase either returns nothing or seemingly every term in my Termbase, most of which are completely irrelevant to the source segment.  I am not sure if the fact that the Portuguese language has "de" in a large majority of the terms or what...

I did rename the file in the SDL folder (.old) which did force me to login again, but the problem continues.

In addition the adaptive TM which should be using the terms in my Language cloud Termbase does not do so.

Tertiary, is the fact that I have long given up on Uplift actually working...

A wee bit frustrated....

I am using Trados 2017 all updated and I set the Language Cloud TB as the default TB, so I could as terms as I go... If that makes a diference.

Parents
  • Hello Jerel R. Pulicicchio (JerelR. Pulicicchio)

I think there are two separate issues herewhich are unconnected.

1) Translation memory & 2) Termbase

1) Translation Memory

This following video(s) shows how you need to set up your (Adaptive) MT engine correctly (via settings)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7qNIsHGtMk

www.youtube.com/watch

2) Termbase

As I am sure you are aware, our Language Cloud based Termbase (still a beta model) is designed so that you can share your TermBase with others who of course need to be using Studio and also have a language cloud account.

The following video shows how to create the online Termbase and how you can share the TB

Are others who you are sharing your TermBase with experiencing the same problems?

If you are receiving either "nothing or everything" then maybe you could try changing the following settings-

Does this help at all?

If not- I would be more than happy to set up a remote webex with you to have a look at this.

• Both are configured correctly. I spent hours researching before posting here.

My objective here is not to share the TB, but rather force the Adaptive MT to use the terms in the TB.

Is there a configuration for the TermBase that you highlighted in green above, that you suggest? I have tried just about every variation I could imagine in those settings. By the way, I am not sure if it returns exactly 100% of the TB, but it is too many irrelevant terms to count, while missing the relevant ones.

I could do a webex on Thursday perhaps...
  • Hello Jerel R. Pulicicchio (JerelR. Pulicicchio) ,

I think here we should discuss this in a little more detail as its still unclear of what is required.

First of all, it is not possible to force Adaptive MT to use terms from a local Termbase (online or otherwise).

Termbase is a separate to MT Adaptive which should be seen as an extension to your TM

MT Adaptive works in the background (and in the cloud) and learns from the way you translate and in particular your own style- (as explained in the first video above).

You should be able to get results from your term base by doing the following in your Project Settings-

Does this help?

• You seem to have contradicted yourself in the following statements:

1)First of all, it is not possible to force Adaptive MT to use terms from a local Termbase (online or otherwise).

2)You should be able to get results from your term base by doing the following in your Project Settings-

I.e. if it is not possible to indicate the terms that the Adaptive MT should use, why is there an option to select a dictionary in the Adaptive MT settings?
  • Hello ,

Sorry, I did not mean to contradict or confuse.

AdaptiveMT does not use LC Terminology or any other type of termbase to "train it".
    It learns through your corrections as you translate.
    Only the Baseline and Trained Engines can use LanguageCloud or a dictionary to help influence which terms are replaced in the output. Once you opt for AdaptiveMT you forgo the ability to use your terminology in that way.

I am sorry that the UI is a little confusing.
  • Ok. Can you tell me why the adaptive MT will have apparently learned a term, and then all of a sudden completely forget what it learned?

My issue still remains with the Language Cloud TB returning all no terms...
  • Jerel R. Pulicicchio said:
    Ok. Can you tell me why the adaptive MT will have apparently learned a term, and then all of a sudden completely forget what it learned?

Because it is not as simple as that.  The AdaptiveMT does not take into account every possible mistake, or intended change you make.  If it did this the results of the MT would very quickly become very poor.  There is a science behind the way it works so that it only uses something it is sure about before changing the way it provides you with a machine translated text.

Jerel R. Pulicicchio said:
    My issue still remains with the Language Cloud TB returning all no terms...

Can we do a Skype session and take a look at this?  Drop me an email at pfilkin@sdl.com with your Skype details if this is ok.

• Paul, I will e-mail you to schedule a skype call, perhaps Friday.

In the meantime, could you point me to where it was informed that the TB is not considered in the Adaptive MT? (despite the tool allowing you to configure it as such).

Also, is there any high-level documentation of the Adaptive MT?
    In the meantime, could you point me to where it was informed that the TB is not considered in the Adaptive MT? (despite the tool allowing you to configure it as such).

When 2017 and AdaptiveMT was released the ability to use dictionaries was removed altogether.  This is in the release notes.  The reason they were removed was because AdaptiveMT was not thought to need them.  It became clear that with the limited language pairs available for AdaptiveMT we needed to bring this back for the normal LanguageCloud engines.  So this was added back in with SR1 (I think...).

Unfortunately the UI doesn't do a good job of making clear where you can use dictionaries in the way you wish and where you can't.  There is just a large splash across the top talking about AdaptiveMT and the Dictionaries and the non-Adaptive engine selections are in this same place.  So anyone coming into this without the benefit of the history behind it couild easily be confused as you have been.

Only what you will find in the product help, and if you google it:

https://www.google.de/search?q=adaptiveMT+trados&oq=adaptiveMT+trados&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.8675j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

When 2017 and AdaptiveMT was released the ability to use dictionaries was removed altogether.  This is in the release notes.  The reason they were removed was because AdaptiveMT was not thought to need them.  It became clear that with the limited language pairs available for AdaptiveMT we needed to bring this back for the normal LanguageCloud engines.  So this was added back in with SR1 (I think...).

Unfortunately the UI doesn't do a good job of making clear where you can use dictionaries in the way you wish and where you can't.  There is just a large splash across the top talking about AdaptiveMT and the Dictionaries and the non-Adaptive engine selections are in this same place.  So anyone coming into this without the benefit of the history behind it couild easily be confused as you have been.

Only what you will find in the product help, and if you google it:

https://www.google.de/search?q=adaptiveMT+trados&oq=adaptiveMT+trados&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.8675j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Children
No Data