Detecting language please wait for.......
SDL Studio just reset all my settings and deleted my projects, now I cannot open the project I was working on any more: "An error occured whilst trying to determine the file version" (Auto-Update failed and rolled back)
No system crash, Auto-Update started and then said it cannot start something like "product telemetrics service - Do you have enough system priviledges" (yes I do, full access administrator account, but I remember renaming the telemetrics folder once because I hate intrusive software running in the background when the program is not being used - SDL support told me there is no problem in renaming the SDL telemetrics folder at that time).
Auto-Update could not finish and I had to click cancel. Now I cannot open my project anymore.
I obviously need to finish the project and want my settings back - how?
Also: How can I update?
Also: For some reason the TM I had used was not updated and now even creating a new project will not re-translate the project. Whichever segment I open I get: no matches found, even though I just translated this yesterday. SDL Trados Studio deletes my projects automatically and doesn't let me re-open it? I can't even close my mouth yet...
I'm a repeat victim of this issue. I have issues with my computer screen turning black when coming back out of sleep or hibernation which means I sometimes need to force a restart. Every time this happens, Trados completely resets and all my projects become "corrupted" and can no longer be opened. It also means that I have to reset all my user-specific options (the way wordcount appears, my own keyboard shortcuts, my standard TMs, the plug-ins, etc). I'm currently working on a major project for which I've had to split the source file. I'm currently on the 4th iteration of the project. Every single time, I have to recreate the project, re-split the files, re-run the TM through it (I can't honestly check that each individual segment is correct, but I'm sure I'm introducing mistakes). Every time, this takes 2-3 hours to get the system back up and running. Why on Earth is Trados behaving this way and how can we work around this!!! It is such a waste of time!
Hi, I found something that seemed to help in my case. I am not sure if the problem will come back but for now I have turned "screen off" and "automatic sleep" back on and did not get the problem yet. That's only since yesterday evening though. I was gonna wait a little longer until I post it here, but getting the notification of your answer I can't resist: :) I have turned off .NET Optimizations To do this click START, type "control panel", open it, find "Programs and Features" (this gives you the old dialog), on the left click "Turn Windows Features On or Off" and disable all .NET options (In my case there are two: .NET Framework 3.5 (...) and .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services (which imho could be the culprit). I discovered it because I saw the process running in the task manager for no obvious reason and tried turning it off after a google search ".NET Framework causing Windows crash" and finding someone with that exact problem. You can try it out - but remember you turned it off in case some other software stops working because it needs the .NET Framework. I haven't had any problems either way - no software has complained about a missing .NET Framework and the sleep and screen off functions seem to work fine so far. Fingers crossed!
Sorry to say but I just had my first crash again so this does not seem to be the root cause...