Studio 2019 fails when trying to create a new project: An error occured whilst trying to determine the file version.

Hi All,

I have installed the new Studio 2019 under a brand new installation of Windows 10 x64. I have imported my projects and templates from Studio 2017. Now when I try to create a new project I get this:

...which is a hilarious message, as in the best of Trados traditions it means nothing to the paying user, and it also contains a spelling error: occurred. I do appreciate the usage of the archaic form 'whilst' (adds a touch of class).

Typos aside, I can see that others have had the same problem, and so I have read through the answers and:

1. Closed and re-opened Trados. No luck.

2. Added several extensions to the exclusion list of my Kaspersky Internet Security (generally, a bad idea, but I need to be able to create new projects in my shiny new Studio 2019). Alas, this fixed nothing.

3. Renamed the Project Templates directory, as advised in one of the threads:

...thought I had it this time... No.

So do I need to also sacrifice the list of my projects that I have so meticulously saved?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Best regards,

Pavel

• Hi again 

There has been a Windows Update, maybe a Windows Repair of Studio might sort this, or have you tried that already?

All the best

Ali (she who couldn't solve your last problem...[;)])

• Hi

In general it's a bad idea (because Studio doesn't handle it well) to migrate some resources, like project templates or custom filetypes, from an older version. I would always do this when upgrading:

1. Read the release notes and see what's changed
    2. Migrate anything that has not changed
    3. Recreate things that have

Unfortunately project templates often touch everything so I would always recreate them when moving from one version to another. I'd like to see a better migration process built into the upgrade from one version to another but until we have this it makes sense to recreate if in any doubt. I know it takes a while, but the effort spent messing around trying to resolve the problems that can be caused by this could be a lot more.
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for your message.

1. Indeed, when I deleted the following file

...from C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\Studio 2019\Projects, the problem was solved.

2. It is unfortunate that I will now have to re-create the client list and templates from scratch—after investing a lot of time and effort into backing those up (along with the projects list) on a daily basis, so that this exact sequence of events could be avoided.

It would be great if SDL can make those resources reusable.

Best regards,

Pavel

• Dear Pavel,

I've encountered this problem with Studio 2019 as well (including the "classy" bit in the error message, ha!). A solution (?) I was able to arrive at was to move the entire project folder to Documents\Studio 2019, and then re-add the project to the project list.

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/p/19155/68421#68421

Like I mentioned, Studio 2019 may have issues with long folder paths. That does not explain why it is completely failing to add projects to the projects.xml list after quitting the app, but it might help you to avoid the problem again.

Finally, Studio 2019 seems to have troubles with files that contain certain special characters. In one case, I had a project that contained a single double-byte character at the end of the project folder's file name. Deleting that single character solved the problem, and Studio 2019 happily opened the project and added it to the list.