Is there a way to perform corrections on a TM?

I have a large TM file (approx. 34000 units) and I want to send it to a translator for him to review the contents and correct whatever errors he can find. Is there any way to export the TM into an Excel spreadsheet or any other format in which the translator can comfortably read and edit the units? I have to be able to export and then import the translated file back into the TM (taking into account tags and other formatting).

Top Replies

• Hi 

I would go the way Ali described and use SDLTMConvert for this.  34000 TUs as a single file is probably going to be problematic (in terms of performance) for Studio as it's quite large for…

• Hi 

First, a question: Does the translator have SDL Trados Studio?

I ask this because a TM can be saved to SDLXLIFF then worked on in Studio, with or without tracked changes switched on. The advantage of tracked changes is that you can see what he/she has changed.

He/she could instead work on the TM in the Translation Memories View in Studio without any need to convert it, if you don't want to review the changes he/sh makes.

If he/she does not have SDL Trados Studio, it is possible in theory to convert a TM to to Excel using two steps. First, you can convert the TM to SDLXLIFF. This is done by first exporting the TM to .TMX format, by right-clicking on the TM having first opened it to the TM list in the left hand pane of the Translation Memories View.

Then using plugins downloaded from the AppStore you can create a project and add the .TMX to it, which converts it to SDLXLIFF.

Then, using an app from the AppStore, it is possible to convert SDLXLIFF to Excel. The app is here: Export to Excel but I can't guarantee its functionality as I have never used it.

Working backwards afterwards, you would be able to open the finished Excel file as SDLXLIFF then 'clean' or import that to a new TM.

This is a complicated process and I can't guarantee that it will work. It very much depends on the complexity of the TM content.

Someone else may have a better idea... 

All the best,

Alison Slight smile

• Thank you for the answer! Yes, the translator has SDL, but working on the TM view on SDL is too uncomfortable when dealing with 34000 units. Also, having track changes isn't important to me. I'll check the alternatives mentioned, thanks again for the feedback!

• Upon checking, I can't seem to create a project using a TMX. Is there really a way to convert a TMX to SDLXLIFF? Im getting an error saying that TMX is an unsupoported file type for an SDL project. That would be the most ideal solution, since, as mentioned, the translator has SDL.

• Hi 

Another way to work on TMs that is much more manageable is to work on the .tmx using a piece of free software called Olifant. I have used this many times in the past and it was a great piece of kit.

Here's the site where you can download it:

Olifant download

Here's the site where you can get help learning how to use it:

Olifant Help 

It is a more versatile tool for filtering TUs but it's been around a long time and as far as I can see hasn't changed much. This may mean that it might still have the 'feature' it had when I used it, that it strips out all the properties of TU's such as who created the TU etc.

All the best,

Alison Slight smile

• Hi 

Which version of Studio are you using?

If it's an older version, it might not have this functionality added...

Ali :)

• Hi again 

Ah, sorry! To be able to open a TMX as SDLXLIFF you FIRST need the 'Translation Memory eXchange' file type definition for TMX, which can be downloaded here:

File type definition for TMX

You click on the plug-in once downloaded then it has to be activated via 'Additional file types exist' under File>Options>File types - or in the Project settings.

There's also an app called SDLTmConvert but the free version only converts TMs with up to 25000 units, though there is a paid version that will convert more. Paul has now explained that the free version will cut a larger TM into chunks so they are manageable, and that SDLTmConvert is the best route to take for conversion of a TMX to an SDLXLIFF.

All the best,

Ali Slight smile

(edited)

• Hi 

I would go the way Ali described and use SDLTMConvert for this.  34000 TUs as a single file is probably going to be problematic (in terms of performance) for Studio as it's quite large for a single file.  The SDLTMConvert app can split the TM into bite sized chunks.  Studio doesn't support TMX as a translatable file at all without the app for this (not even in 2019), but you can convert to XLIFF instead and this may be easier.

You might find this article helpful as it explains how you could go about this... pretty old article now but the process and the app is the same:

https://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/03/15/memory_wisdom/

I just spent a couple of days with so good to see the longevity of this app... it was one of the first on the appstore!

• Hi

Thanks for the helpful advice!

Hi , sorry I misled you regarding being able to open .tmx as sdlxliff to a project. I was wrong, it only adds as a reference file which is no good at all... I'll change my posts above to ensure they make sense to new readers.

All the best,

Ali Smiley

• Hi Hi 

I've quickly run a test on the 'Translation Memory eXchange' TMX file type approach. It worked in creating a translatable SDLXLIFF of the TMX but was unable to open the SDLXLIFF, it threw an error message. I am sure this is because the TM I based the test on was very large. It should work OK with smaller TMs.

So with your TM, it would indeed be best to use SDLTmConvert app!

All the best,

Ali Smiley