Is there a way to perform corrections on a TM?

I have a large TM file (approx. 34000 units) and I want to send it to a translator for him to review the contents and correct whatever errors he can find. Is there any way to export the TM into an Excel spreadsheet or any other format in which the translator can comfortably read and edit the units? I have to be able to export and then import the translated file back into the TM (taking into account tags and other formatting).

Parents
  • Hi 

First, a question: Does the translator have SDL Trados Studio?

I ask this because a TM can be saved to SDLXLIFF then worked on in Studio, with or without tracked changes switched on. The advantage of tracked changes is that you can see what he/she has changed.

He/she could instead work on the TM in the Translation Memories View in Studio without any need to convert it, if you don't want to review the changes he/sh makes.

If he/she does not have SDL Trados Studio, it is possible in theory to convert a TM to to Excel using two steps. First, you can convert the TM to SDLXLIFF. This is done by first exporting the TM to .TMX format, by right-clicking on the TM having first opened it to the TM list in the left hand pane of the Translation Memories View.

Then using plugins downloaded from the AppStore you can create a project and add the .TMX to it, which converts it to SDLXLIFF.

Then, using an app from the AppStore, it is possible to convert SDLXLIFF to Excel. The app is here: Export to Excel but I can't guarantee its functionality as I have never used it.

Working backwards afterwards, you would be able to open the finished Excel file as SDLXLIFF then 'clean' or import that to a new TM.

This is a complicated process and I can't guarantee that it will work. It very much depends on the complexity of the TM content.

Someone else may have a better idea... 

All the best,

Alison 

• Hi 

First, a question: Does the translator have SDL Trados Studio?

I ask this because a TM can be saved to SDLXLIFF then worked on in Studio, with or without tracked changes switched on. The advantage of tracked changes is that you can see what he/she has changed.

He/she could instead work on the TM in the Translation Memories View in Studio without any need to convert it, if you don't want to review the changes he/sh makes.

If he/she does not have SDL Trados Studio, it is possible in theory to convert a TM to to Excel using two steps. First, you can convert the TM to SDLXLIFF. This is done by first exporting the TM to .TMX format, by right-clicking on the TM having first opened it to the TM list in the left hand pane of the Translation Memories View.

Then using plugins downloaded from the AppStore you can create a project and add the .TMX to it, which converts it to SDLXLIFF.

Then, using an app from the AppStore, it is possible to convert SDLXLIFF to Excel. The app is here: Export to Excel but I can't guarantee its functionality as I have never used it.

Working backwards afterwards, you would be able to open the finished Excel file as SDLXLIFF then 'clean' or import that to a new TM.

This is a complicated process and I can't guarantee that it will work. It very much depends on the complexity of the TM content.

Someone else may have a better idea... 

All the best,

Alison 

Children