We are having trouble with pre-translation batch task. TM named FOU_DE was created and FOU SDLXLIFF was imported into it. Some of the FOU segments were AT segments from machine translation.
When we pre-translate the original Studio project where FOU SDLXLIFF was exported from, the original AT segments still contain AT status, with score of 100%. Advanced Display Filter seems to also consider those as AT origin, not 100% origin.
This screenshot shows segment status after pre-translation batch task with FOU_DE tm.
How can we mitigate it? We would like to be able to pre-translate the original Studio project with FOU_DE TM, and show segments 100% Score as 100%, not AT.
I tried to translate a document with machine translation and then save the translations (Ctrl + Enter) into a local TM, then clear the translations and pre-translate with the local TM, the status and rate will be exactly what i expected.
Have you ever confirmed the translations in FOU SDLXLIFF before updating the translations into FOU TM? If not, you might have to. Also, you can use SDL Tool Kit which can have you to change the status in SDLXLIFF files in batches.
Thanks for your input. I do not hava a luxury of clearing the translation before pre-translating with the TM created from FOU translation unless there is a way to clear AT translation in the original project, but only those AT that were separately reviewwed/translated in FOU export. I can update score from 100 to 25 in a couple ways, but that't not important.
My question is really this: why is AT status still there after applying a TM regardless of whether it comes from FOU export. Why is origin still AT, when TM was applied with 100% score, no penalty?? This seems incorrect to me.
Hi Naoko Jones
I believe this is a Studio thing. Once the segments have got an AT status this is carried through to the TM unless you do some clean up first. Perhaps the easiest solution is to use something like the SDLXLIFF Anonymizer which can remove the AT status from your FOU SDLXLIFF prior to importing it into your TM.
Thank you for this information... I would have to ask, what would happen if I raise a support ticket on this? I am helping with a large project where FOU export was split into 700+ SDLXLIFF files, and translated. When FOU TM was applied to the original Studio project FOU export came from, this caused issues when WIP report was run on it, i.e. the segment status is incorrect in the WIP report, and linsguists are not happy. But is there another way to capture the status of the project for linguists? In the meantime, I will try your suggestion.
Naoko Jones said:I would have to ask, what would happen if I raise a support ticket on this?
I'd say raise a ticket and see. If you have a good reason, and it sounds as though you do, it should be considered for an enhancement, or perhaps an option when importing. Some people find this useful because you can MT your files and then create a TM which you can use offline and still get the AT status. So optional check on import seems sensible to me.
Naoko Jones said:But is there another way to capture the status of the project for linguists?
I think that without manipulation of the files in some way there isn't. But perhaps someone else will have a good idea?
Thanks again. That makes sense and I can see that could be very useful.
FYI. Case No. 00427046 - Naoko Jones - When TM created from AT segments was applied, AT status remains in segments with 100% match score [ref:_00D30NkM._5000z1KrmIm:ref]
I would like to update you on this as i received interesting feedback from Studio support team. I summarized below distinction between the two ways we can update TM involving content originating from machine translation.
During prep for split FOU export translation:
Import FOU export in to a new TM to create FOU TM that will contain machine translation. The origin for MT content will stay as MachineTranslation.
This FOU TM will be applied to split FOU SDLXLIFFs. Segments FOU TM was applied to will show as AT status. This is apparently related to LTB-1965.
During prep after FOU translation:
Update main TM within the FOU Studio project with a new TM to create FOU TM that will contain translated and reviewed translation of repeated content by linguists, originally from MachineTranslation. The origin for reviewed MT content will become tm in FOU TM.
This FOU TM will be applied to Studio projects with match score of 100%, provider tm.
I am not sure this all makes sense, but I learned that there is difference between updating TM batch task and importing SDLXLIFF into a TM.