How to save/export all settings in Options to a single file to store for next time, sharing with someone or install on another machine?

Hi,

I'd like to save and export all the settings that I changed and modified in the Options Window. But didn't find any button or feature to do it in the window or in Trados Studio window. It's great to save and store all changed settings as a single file to use it; if we face with a bad crash, reinstall OS, sharing with someone or using our favorite settings on another machine for Trados Studio that installed on it. I don't like to change all settings from scratch, especially Colors section with my customized colors again! Is it possible to save and export all settings like MS Word as a single file? If yes, would you please help me how to do it?

Best Wishes,

Masoud 

• Hi

Yes, this is possible via 'Export Profile Settings', which creates an .sdlprofile file that you can use between computers

Here are instructions on how to do this:

Exporting profile settings

Here also is the 'parent topic':

Profiles for SDL Trados Users

It has links to further instructions, such as how to create more than one profile file for different work scenarios and then switch between them.

Have fun!

All the best,

Ali

• Hi Alison,

Does the saving process includes the situation of the windows or panels in the UI layout or just about saving the settings? Of course, my question is about saving of settings, not exporting UI layout and window positions, but I'd like to save the position of the windows. for example, I'd like to have "Termbase Viewer" on the left side while Auto Hide is off to see it my termbase list. 

Thank You, Alison,

Masoud

• Hi

The profile settings do include those sort of details, yes.

Here's what the documentation says about this:

SDL Trados Studio stores all your settings and preferences inside a user profile.

Your profile contains:

- User settings (for example, custom keyboard shortcuts, custom look and feel, selected Spell Checker)

- Default project settings (for example, default language pairs, translation memories, termbases, AutoSuggest dictionaries, automated translation providers, file types, translation memory settings, batch processing settings)

All specific project settings (for example, selected language pairs, translation memories, termbases, AutoSuggest dictionaries, automated translation providers, file types, translation memory settings, batch processing settings) are stored inside each project folder.

These settings are retained even when you upgrade to a new version. There will be new settings that aren't included or maybe a setting will be changed by a major update, it's not foolproof but most of your customisation will be included.

All the best,

Ali