Chinese Simplified (Malaysia)

Hello,

We have received a source document for translation into Chinese Simplified (Malaysia)!

Did anybody use this language in the past? I saw that in Studio there is no such language.

Parents
  • There is no language listed in the Windows LCID reference, which is the main reason why Studio won't list it.  But I guess you would just use Chinese (Simplified).  I see conflicting views on what is normally used in Malaysia so perhaps the reference you received from your client is just to point out that it's simplified Chinese for Malaysia as opposed to Traditional?

I always thought the different Chinese dialects (other than Singapore, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) had no bearing on this hence it's either simplified or traditional everywhere else.  Should there be completely different language codes for more of the Chinese dialects spoken, or more of the countries where Chinese is widely spoken?

• We've asked our client to be sure that this is indeed for translation into Chinese Simplified (Malaysia), and he confirmed that this is the case!

In Wikipedia I can see references that there slight differences between Chinese Simplified (Malaysia) and Chinese Simplified (PRC)..

We will have to find another way to handle this, probably picking another language combination in Studio and asking translators to translate into Chinese Simplified (Malaysia), just to have the content available for the next time...

Anyway, thanks a lot for the input.

• In Wikipedia I can see references that there slight differences between Chinese Simplified (Malaysia) and Chinese Simplified (PRC)..

Do you mean this one?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_characters#Singapore_and_Malaysia

It actually says "Malaysia promulgated a set of simplified characters in 1981, which were also completely identical to the simplified characters used in Mainland China.", so if I were you, I'd use Chinese (Simplified, Singapore) and that's it.

I wonder if the client actually understands what he is asking you for. My wild guess is that it's just forwarded instruction, without actually thinking about it. I've seen that happening way too often in my career to believe anything else.

Reply Children
No Data