Parameter not valid

I keep getting this error [ Parameter not valid] with Studio 2019 sr2, which I just installed last week. I thought it was caused by one specific project, but since I get it with all projects, that it obviously a Studio issue. I've tried to figure out some kind of pattern, but I did not see any, like a particular letter, a particular spot in the document or page, etc.

Looks like other people have had this issue for years, which makes me wonder why they have not fixed this yet.

I have tried the numerous solutions offered on the forum, but none worked for me. I am also of the opinion that I should not be required to "fix" their software with a different app, with a reset (where I loose everything), or renaming my files/folders, and all these other things that I tried to no avail. 

Thankfully, this upgrade allows me to go back and use 2017, which I have done. That's one good thing, since previous updates did not allow you to work on your previous version. I will continue to use 2017 until they get 2019 fixed.

It's also very frustrating that you cannot talk to anyone and get any kind of help right away, unless you purchase a support agreement. I understand that part if I want to learn more about the product etc., but I should not have to "buy" support in order to get the product to work properly or fix a bug.

Chantal 

Parents
  • Hello ,

The error - Parameter not valid' doesn't really tell us anything much.

Could you please post the whole error stack- this will often give us an indication of what might be causing the problem.

Also an example of exactly what you are doing, when the error occurs would also be very helpful.

Could you also please let us know which solutions you have tried, so we can start narrowing this down.

If this was a generic Studio issue, we would see a lot more cases- however if this is genuinely a Studio issue, you are entitled to free support.

• The same error - Parameter is not valid - happens to me. It happens so often that my productivity is badly impacted. 

I use the latest versions of Trados Studio (2019 SR2 - 15.2.4.1693) and MT (2019 - 15.0.4.56053) on Windows10 computer that is also up to date. I am currently translating from Japanese to English. My source files are docx and xlsx and connecting multiple TBs. I am attaching the details of the error message. I hope you can figure out something.

Yuki

8357.sdlerror-2019112-11h32m53s.sdlerror.xml
    <SDLErrorDetails time="11/2/2019 11:33:52 AM">
      <ErrorMessage>Parameter is not valid.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.ArgumentException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <ParamName />
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>System.Drawing</Source>
        <HResult>-2147024809</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight(Graphics graphics)
       at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight()
       at System.Drawing.Font.get_Height()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.AbstractSuggestionWindow.SetLocation()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.SuggestionWindow..ctor(ISuggestionDataProvider suggestionDataProvider, List`1 suggestionData, Form parentForm, SideBySideEditor editor, SuggestionSite site, Boolean isInternal, SuggestionMode mode, ITranslatableDocumentEditorSettings settings, Int32 imeBehavior)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.SuggestionWindow.ShowSuggestionWindow(Form parent, ISideBySideDocumentEditingView view, SideBySideEditor editor, ISuggestionDataProvider suggestionDataProvider, SuggestionSite site, Char firstChar, Int32 sourceStartPosition, SuggestionMode mode, ITranslatableDocumentEditorSettings settings, Boolean requireCaseResolving, Boolean incrementTextOffset, Int32 imeBehavior)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.IntellisenseEditing.ShowSuggestionWindow(Form parent, ISideBySideDocumentEditingView view, SideBySideEditor editor, ISuggestionDataProvider suggestionDataProvider, SuggestionSite site, Char firstChar, Int32 sourceStartPosition, SuggestionMode mode, ITranslatableDocumentEditorSettings settings, Boolean requireCaseResolving, Boolean incrementTextOffset)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.IntellisenseEditing.LaunchIntellisenseWindow(Boolean keyPressed, Char lastChar, Boolean afterImeCompositionUpdate)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.IntellisenseEditing.ProcessDocumentContentChanged(List`1 operations, Boolean afterImeCompositionUpdate)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.IntellisenseEditing.Document_ContentChanged(Object sender, FrameworkDocumentContentChangedEventArgs e)
       at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
       at AbstractFrameworkDocument.raise_ContentChanged(Object value0, FrameworkDocumentContentChangedEventArgs value1)
       at AbstractFrameworkDocument.OnContentChanged(Object sender, FrameworkDocumentContentChangedEventArgs args)
       at FrameworkDocumentEventSource.RaiseContentChanged(FrameworkDocumentEventSource* )
       at FrameworkDocumentEventSource.vv_AfterCompositeCommandCompleted(FrameworkDocumentEventSource* )
       at Tree.DocumentControl.vl_WindowProc(DocumentControl* , HWND__* , UInt32 , UInt32 , Int32 )
       at FrameworkDocumentControl.vl_WindowProc(FrameworkDocumentControl* , HWND__* h_wnd, UInt32 n_msg, UInt32 w_p, Int32 l_p)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>15.0.0.0</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>15.2.4.1693</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Home</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>1033</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>LAPTOP-DFH5N0KC\okada</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>LAPTOP-DFH5N0KC</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>8206468 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

• Hello

Sorry for the late reply- when replying to a thread/specific person, please follow the guidance below-

The error message would seem to indicate there is a font type/size and/or line spacing that Windows does not recognise correctly. 

Please check the original source and ensure that you have the correct fonts and language packs installed.

• Hi Steven,

Thank you, for getting back to me. I am still working on that project, and being tormented by this error often.

Could you tell me more specifically where and what to check? My current project is Japanese to English, and I do have these language packs installed on my computer - Japanese Default app language, while English (US) is Default input language and Windows display language. 

The error does not occur all the time. But when it does it may occur multiple times in one segment. Like someone else said, it seems to occur with a certain typing sequence or character, such as "re" but this is not consistent at all.

Please let me know if I can gather more information to help you identify the issue.

Yuki

• Hi Yukihiko
    I've experienced the same problem the other day (translating from Japanese to French).
    I believe some tab or indentation in the source text caused the problem, as Steven pointed out.
    As a workaround, you may try to copy the source text, paste it in a new Word file, and translate this one. Or add the step of copying the source text in a Memopad file (to get rid of problematic formatting characters), then paste it in a new Word file. It has worked for me in the past.
    I hope this helps.

• Hi Yukihiko
    I've experienced the same problem the other day (translating from Japanese to French).
    I believe some tab or indentation in the source text caused the problem, as Steven pointed out.
    As a workaround, you may try to copy the source text, paste it in a new Word file, and translate this one. Or add the step of copying the source text in a Memopad file (to get rid of problematic formatting characters), then paste it in a new Word file. It has worked for me in the past.
    I hope this helps.

Children
  • Thank you, . Do you mean a plain text file (Notepad) when you say Memopad file? My current source file is pretty large with over 30k characters with lots of formatting, and I really cannot lose those formatting. As far as I can see, I do not see a difference in tabs and indentations in segments that cause the error from other segments that do not. 

Yuki

• Sorry, I meant Notepad. Yes, this workaround may work only if the source file is small and without too much formatting. Sorry to hear it won't work for you. Maybe you can try to copy the source file directly in a new Word file to keep much of the original formatting ? By the way I got the "Parameter not valid" error again today (J to F, PowerPoint file). Had to close and restart the program.. I use my other trick now, which is to slow down my typing. It seems to work so far... Good luck with your project.