Parser Rules XML Filetype doesn´t work

Hello,

at first, I want to apologize for my bad English. Here is my question:

I have created a new file type at Trados: XML: Localization

For this file type, I have defined parser rules that define what to translate and what not to translate.

Parser rules are:

//content[@language="en"] translate

//content[@language="it"] translate

//content[@language="fr"] translate

Context is paragraph and rule type is XPath.

In Verarbeitung eingebetteter Inhalte I have defined an XML parser. The new rule in inline tags is:

\$.+?\$

Tag Type: Platzhalter

To translate: Falsch

This has worked perfectly so far.

See the screenshots.

So now my problem, I updated Trados to 15.2.0.1041.

And now it doesn't work anymore. Please have a look at the screenshots, the elements are translated now, which is wrong.

I guess Trados now uses the file type Any XML instead of XML: Localization. But in Any XML I can't define parser rules.

But, when I create a new project, I see that XML: Localization is selected.

What I've tried is to create a whole new file type with these settings or disable all other XML types.

Do any of you know any advice?

Best regards

Lydia

Top Replies

Parents Reply
  • And excuse me, I wrote something confusing, I think.
    I used //content[@language="fr"] to define that the terms in the XML file should be translated.

Just like here:
    <content language="de">inbox: $VORGANGSPOSTKORB_NAME+$</content>
    <content language="fr">Boîte de réception $VORGSPOSTKORB_NAME+$</content>

But I want to make sure everything is not translated into $$.

Thank you.
    Best regards
    Lydia

Children
  • I'm sorry... but now I'm more confused than I was before!

I used //content[@language="fr"] to define that the terms in the XML file should be translated.

ok... so you want to translate the content elements where the attribute value is fr.  Understood... and this would mean that you replace the contents of the fr text, presumably with French?

You have created these rules:

In here you are saying this:

- extract the text in the content elements for en, fr and it and expose it for translation.  Then your source file, which only contains two languages (de and fr), can be easily handled as only the fr should be extracted:

So far so good.  But you then asked for everything else to be extracted as well since its not protected at all:

I'm assuming these are the parts you don't want?  So why don't you delete all your rules and just use these two rules for the sample file you provided for example:

//content[@language='fr']             Always translate

//*                                                 Never translate

In that order.  And add the structure for the embedded content to the top rule.

• This is not the first time I see such completely wrong XML parsing rules, apparently created by following some weird videotutorial instructing the users to create rules by importing the source XML file:

This is the worst way of creating the parser rules EVER!
    Especially for n00bs which have no clue what they are doing...

• I think importing the rules had some value as they were then easier to select (if you didn't need xpath).  I always import first too... but I then delete them all so only do the import for the selection convenience when I don't need more complex xpath.

• And that is exactly the problem - you know what to do and why, but the average Joe Translators don't... and they end up with something completely weird what may work only by coincidence, or due to some bug or something, what gets eventually fixed/changed and everything breaks down.

Plus, nowadays the XMLs are rather complex, so this way does way more harm than good. Again, especially for n00bs.

• Hello again,

The other parser rules //entry, //localization, //localization1 etc. refer to deeper elements of a much bigger and complex XML file. I have used the small XML file only for testing purposes and to demonstrate the following to you.

So we have several such complex XML files. One for each language. Source language is always German in <content language="fr"> for example. For Italian it would be <content language="it"> etc., depending on the file and the language we want to translate into.

Now I would like to say Trados, translate everything that is written in <content language="fr"> etc., but don't translate what is written in <content language="de">, because that should remain German.

The elements in the $$ are buttons of our application. They must not be translated.

We have tried to follow what you Paul described in your article https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/06/01/custom-xml/.

Exactly with the settings I have shown to you everything worked perfectly. See the screenshot. All elements or FormatFunctions in the $ characters were not translated.

Here is the example:

<content language="de">Eingangskorb: $VORGANGSPOSTKORB_NAME+$</content>

<content language="fr">Boîte de réception $VORGANGSPOSTKORB_NAME+$</content>

As you can see, only the actual text was translated.

After the update to 15.2.0.1041 it is no longer possible to use exactly the same project template. Also other changes don't apply to our file format “XML:Localization” anymore. For example, if I want to convert HTML entities. We found out that we now have to make these settings for the file type “Any XML”. So we assume that the new file type “XML:Localization” doesn't work anymore.

Here's the example where it doesn't work anymore:

<content language="de">inbox: $VORGANGSPOSTKORB_NAME+$</content>

<content language="fr">Boite de réception : NOM_DE_PANIER_DE_POSTE_DE_TRANSACTION_DE_COURRIER_+$</content>

I hope you've been able to follow me more clearly now and see what the problem is.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Lydia

• I remember  reported a problem with XML parsers in the Beta group - that was just before the release of SR2. Could that be connected?

Daniel

• Can we see your setting files and also have a sample of te source?  That might help stop all the guessing?  If you don't want to post them into th forum feel free to drop me an email to pfilkin@sdl.com

• Now I would like to say Trados, translate everything that is written in <content language="fr"> etc., but don't translate what is written in <content language="de">, because that should remain German.

So, as Paul already mentioned, you should just specify rules for "DO translate this" and then use "//*" set to "DO NOT translate this" as last rule in the list.
    You do not need to specify rule for every element/attribute present in the XML.

• Okay, thanks, Paul. I sent you everything.

• Hi

I have replied to your email yesterday, but it seems to be getting bounced.  So this was my response... I made two changes and things seem to be picked up correctly::

I have not addressed all your other rules… I’m assuming you have them there for a reason?

Regards

Paul

• Hi Paul,

thank you for your reply. I've just tested your project settings, but unfortunately it doesn't work either.

• Please can you be very specific about what doesn't work because this seems to be working for me.

• Yes, of course. So I set up the project settings the way you described it.

The result is that the values in $ characters are still translated. However, they must not be translated because they are code.

<content language="de">$VORGANGSPOSTKORB_NAME+$</content>
    <content language="fr">NOM_DE_PANIER_DE_POSTE_DE_TRANSACTION_DE_COURRIER_+$</content>

And now the German source text is also translated, which of course should not be the way it is.

<content language="de">Boîte de réception $VORGANGSPOSTKORB_NAME+$</content>
    <content language="fr">Boîte de réception : NOM_DE_PANIER_DE_POSTE_DE_TRANSACTION_DE_COURRIER_+$</content>

• And now the German source text is also translated

Surely it is, since that's what your parser rules say!
    At the very top you clearly define the "de" language to be "Immer zu uebersetzen"...

Are you really sure you actually understand how the parser rules work and how you should define them?!?!

• Hi Evzen,

with all due respect, but I really don't have to put up with your rude manners. Do you really think you can make yourself more heard if you use the punctuation marks excessively?

I didn't make the rules, I just followed what Paul told me in his last post. And I have confidence in that. Of course I know that the German parts are now going to be translated. For this reason we have set them to "Do not translate" in the original rules. I just want to leave nothing untried.