Project templates revert to previous config after Windows reboot

So, when doing the initial configuration of Studio after a recent OS reinstall (or rather PC swap, but let's keep it simple), I messed around with the project template files in the SDL directory, trying to copy my backed up templates from the former PC. I can't tell you now what I did and did not exactly as I encountered some complications and can't really trace back all the hassle I engaged in, but the bottom line now is that I see the templates revert to a previous situation after every Windows reboot, meaning: I recently configured (again) two templates by editing the default one and creating a new one from scratch, then rebooted the PC and what I'm seeing now is one of my templates safely in place, and the default template having reverted to its default setting.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit messy, I hope you get the general idea. The thing is: I could try repairing or reinstalling Studio (though I surely would prefer avoiding wasting time on that), but I'm not sure if it will even help as reinstalls often tend to preserve the "soft" configuration files of users, such as templates, keyboard shortcuts etc.

Another thing I noticed after installing Studio on my PC was that the initial configuration ("Welcome" or whatever) window came up about three times, which is obviously erroneous. So it looks a bit like my copy of Studio for some reason has problems with embedding itself properly into the Windows registry or something.

Any ideas? I'm super tired of reconfiguring my templates all the time.

• Hello ,

As far as i'm aware, the default template will always return to its default standard configuration after each restart- simply because this is the default. 

If i remember correctly, it has been recommended NOT to copy the templates from one machine to another- but to recreate then on each new installation. This might take a little while longer to set up in the short term- but should prevent many of the issue you are facing long term.

In regard to the other issues, maybe this is stating/asking the obvious, but are you installing and making changes as administrator (rather than just as a user)?

• If i remember correctly, it has been recommended NOT to copy the templates from one machine to another- but to recreate then on each new installation. This might take a little while longer to set up in the short term- but should prevent many of the issue you are facing long term.

Well, good to know.

I managed to successfully edit the defalt template permanently on my previous PC, so I'm not sure that reverting it by Studio automatically is normal behavior.

As regards the admin/user thing - do you mean the Windows account? I did not create any new users in the system, and I went through the initial Windows configuration myself, although my device is a refurb, so maybe that could point to something.

• Hello ,

I managed to successfully edit the defalt template permanently on my previous PC,

Im not implying that this cannot be done- but the default template is no longer a default option if its changed.

A new installation will always create a new default (out of the box) template which I think should remain unchanged- just add new templates as you need them.

As regards the admin/user thing - do you mean the Windows account?

Sometimes its assumed that the user is logged on as admin, but in fact is using a user account that may have certain admin rights-but not enough).

This has explained and resolved many issues in the past- including Studio installation issues, where ...

o it looks a bit like my copy of Studio for some reason has problems with embedding itself properly into the Windows registry or something.
  • A new installation will always create a new default (out of the box) template which I think should remain unchanged- just add new templates as you need them.

What if I don't want the default template to be default, for the sake of streamlining my work (avoiding having to switch templates on every new project in the new project window)? I don't have a problem with default templates, as long as I don't have to bypass them on a daily basis.

Sometimes its assumed that the user is logged on as admin, but in fact is using a user account that may have certain admin rights-but not enough).

So what can I do about this?

• Hello ,

The default template is loaded in a new installation when the option 'load sample files' is selected, so if you dont select the sample files (this option is only available on new installs) then the default template wont be loaded.

Of course if you don't want the default out of the box template- simply delete this-

Now when you create the project, you will only (in this instance) have the option of the TQA_Taus template.

On the question of ensuring you are working as admin- you can check this under the Windows account Settings

e.g

Here there are two accounts on my machine-

Mine with local install admin rights and then of course the corporate IT department.

There is then the option of adding another user account (Admin or Standard).

Under Standard settings- there would normally be restricted write/installation rights meaning a standard user by default wouldnt have admin rights (needed for installing software).

Now moving on to Studio-

You can start Studio by simply clicking the icon- but this is normal user rights which dont imply admin rights.

To ensure Studio is running under admin rights- you need to right click and then run as admin