Cannot add new multiterm databases

Studio 2017 will sometimes not allow me to add a newly created termbase to a new project I am creating. I just get a cryptic error message: “General error occurred. MultiTerm is unable to retrieve the multimedia object.” Funnily enough, sometimes, a few days later, I can add the termbase. Happens with every project where the customer sends me a new multiterm database to use … Only since last summer …
If you need more detailed Information: I work with SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance, newly installed on a brandnew Windows 10 computer, installed all the latest updates, no more updates available.
Studio SR1 14.1.10017.45688
MultiTerm SR1 14.2.8.55461
I cannot add any new termbases, neither to my current project nor to my project templates.
By "new termbases" I mean recently created new termbases. Funnily enough, I can add some of my old termbases to my projects and to my project templates without any problems.
I pulled the Internet plug and de-activated my AntiVirus (G Data).
But I still could not add any of my new termbases.
Needless to say, the termbase languages exactly match the project languages
And needless to say, I need to work with the new termbases, not the old ones …
I tried three workarounds. I pulled the Internet plug and de-activated my AntiVirus. Did not help. Then I tried to create a new project template from scratch. Did not help either. Then I copied the project to my Windows 7 laptop computer and tried to add the new termbases to my project using my Windows 7 laptop. Did not work either. I can think of no more workarounds.
And needless to say, I checked SDL Community, several times, and the respective Internet forums andd blogs, but I did not find any similar case.
Thanks for your help.
Parents Reply Children
No Data