I continue to experience this problem with SDL Studio.
I read many others have had this problem so I wonder why Studio developers are not doing anything to fix this bug.
I tried everything, I renamed the folders, I disabled autosuggest, I did the repair with Windows ... it is very annoying and it is really unconceivable that nobody from SDL is acting to do something. I can't even contact the support service because I don't have an agreement with them. This is a problem that many user have. It prevents a person from working!!! Every time I have to close and reopen the document or even Studio and after a few lines ... the message comes out again and nothing is allowed.
Can anyone help me, please?
Hello Mara Rambaudi,
When posting to community- it really is useful to give us as much information as possible and let us know exactly when the error message appears and what you were doing.
Also posting the full error stack can offer a lot of information.
Please be advised that you can log FREE installation and licensing tickets via your SDL account.
You do NOT need a support contract for this (however a support contract does offer free upgrades and specific SLA's with anything to do with Studio).
I have checked on the 2 previous cases where this has been reported and both cases have been down to an out of date OS/drivers etc.
Updating these resolved the issues (on these two previously reported cases).