SDL Trados Studio SR2 extremely slow with a massive TM of 1,2 M entries

Hello, 

I am a Trados user since its very begining. I have been experiencing terrible slugishness on my SDL Trados Studio 2017, then, even though I read opinions in the Community that it would be worse, I installed SDL Trado Studio 2019 and its upgrade SR2 to get an extremely slow performance on a massive TM search, updating and verification.

Right now upon clicking to open the TM, the Studio es frozen as shown in this screenshot below:

I did not click to search any word, just tried to open the TM... 15 minutes has elapsed already and nothing happens. I advance that I cancelled the Antivirus directly, has no plugins and also cancel the "frame repair or something like that" that I read as a soution on this SDL community, and nothing change at all!

Due to this kind of productivity issues, I returned to SDL Trados 2007, the TM opened in an instant, and upon searching or updating it, it worked so swiftly and quickly that I think that the only way out of this terrible issue is to ask my whole team to return to SDL Trados 2007.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks!

Parents Reply Children
  • My PC:

I did create a new TM and imported this large TMX of 1,2 M entries and the system took more than 6 hours to update, while Workbench 2007, 10 minutes...

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards 

• Hmm, I think you are in real need of a faster computer. A Celeron combined with 8GB of RAM is very, very underpowered these days. I would say in order to use Studio/memoQ, etc. happily, you need a minimum of an i5 (preferably i7/i9), and at least 16GB of RAM, preferably more.

• Hi Michael, 

This is not a solution at all!!

Day by day we are forced to invest more and more on more powerful equipment. SDL Trados Studio requirement is 8GB. To make matters worse, I have even read in this forum about some users with the same complaint, that they updated their PC to a more powerful to 16GB and still have the same problem...

In addition, it is not possible that each time you reorganize a TM, the result is having a TM weighing FOUR TIMES!!! the previous ones. I have just created a new TM imported some TMX files, the resulting TM was 30801920 and when reorganizing it passed to 118128240! No system stands such a maintenance weight.

And to make matters more terrible this does not happen with the SDLWorkbench2007.

Kind regards

• And to make matters more terrible this does not happen with the SDLWorkbench2007.

Workbench doesn't extract the fragments from your TM that can be used for fragment matching, match repair etc.  With 1.2 mullion TUs that's a hell of a lot of additional data.  In fact comparing a Workbench TM with the support provided in an SDLTM isn't exactly a like for like comparison.

Having said this I would like to see a solution that didn't enforce this upgrade, particularly when working with such large resources and particularly for users who don't intend to make use of these features.  I don't think the size is a problem in today's world but the performance definitely needs to improve.

• Thanks, Paul. 

I dearly hope you can fix tremendous complaint of sluggishness from many many users since SDL Studio 2015...  This repeated complaint is harming SDL Studio reliability

I think that Studio successively has been added so many sophisticated features on the same original platform that now it is not possible to operate the basic standard functions. A solution must be found urgently!

Kind regards

• Hi Florencia,

I didn't mean to detract attention from the problem, which certainly is a problem. Studio is often just plain sluggish. Especially when importing/exporting/editing large TMs.

However, I personally wouldn't even have used a computer with yr current specs 5 years ago anymore, for the kind of work we do (with CAT tools). A Celeron really just isn't powerful enough for professional work. 

RAM is a bit more debatable, although I really don't think 8 GB is enough anymore these days. The minimum specs given by software vendors needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Usually it is not a good idea to get a system matching the minimum specs and expect it to work well under many different conditions.

These days, you can get a decent laptop/desktop with an i7 and 16GB of RAM for very little (especially refurbished!), so I always recommend my fellow translators to get the best they can afford, and always avoid budget CPUs (Celeron, Atom, mobile versions, etc.).

Michael

• Hello Paul

I have the same issue every year as i need to import a massive TMX into a local TM and now with the fragment match it takes about 24 hours....and i have a good machine. The thing is I really dont need the fragment feature but i cant deactivate it. I miss the tool from Capibara 

QuickTmExportImport

Any chance you can suggest an option to disable Fragment processing in these processes for the next release - hope its not there already and i dont know...i have the (strange) habit of not upgrading to newer releases immediately because i always bump into new issues or  at the beginning of each new release...lets me know your thoughts or work arounds

thanks
  • Any chance you can suggest an option to disable Fragment processing in these processes for the next release - hope its not there already and i dont know...i have the (strange) habit of not upgrading to newer releases immediately because i always bump into new issues or  at the beginning of each new release...lets me know your thoughts or work arounds

In the meantime you can suggest this here:

http://ideas.sdl.com