Convert tag placeholders into plain text while export TM

Hi everyone,

Is there any simple setting or app to convert tag placeholders into plain text while export sdltm into tmx? Currently there are many ph tags in the tmx file for which we'd like it display as the source tag text between angle brackets, e.g. <ph x="1" type="3" /> convert to <TIME>.

Attached a snippet of tmx and source for investigation, thanks in advance.

Tm.ziptest_source.zip

• I'm afraid not... at least nothing I'm aware of.  Your best bet is a search & replace in the TMX.

Why do you want to do this?

• Because the client want us to do that and I know it's an unusual request, maybe it's aimed to increase the leverage rate for the next project, or just want to further QA the tmx file against the source. Indeed ph tag is not intuitive to understand for human.

• You do realise that once it's in the SDLTM it'll still only be a placeholder?  Only time the content of the tag is relevant for leverage is when you don't recognise them as tags at all and just treat them as text... which may not be the best approach of course.

• I think the client owns certain purpose for doing so, like make directly amendment to tmx file which we delivered, and they don't want to see ph tag which is absolutely meaningless.

I also tried re-prepare files with those text between angle bracket exposed, aiming to be able to copy the full source text, but still I cannot copy the tag text from the old translation in the Editor view.

• And currently I could trim the source and target content to only keep the bilingual sentence pair, then copy and paste into Excel to make a new tmx file, but it's time costly and I thought there should be a switch to copy out the tags as plain text.

• I don't know if it'll help, but perhaps you could convert the TMX to Excel the old fashioned way so you keep the tags as text, and then open the Excel file as a bilingual Excel?  This way you'll have the stuff you want all as text in the Studio Editor and it would also be added into the Studio SDLTM as text and not tags..

• Thanks Paul, but the old fashioned way means? I tried export the bilingual sdlxliff into Excel, but got only cleaned content with the tags removed.

• It looks like a humor as we can copy the tag as a purple square, as well as search the text in the tag, but we are lack of ammunition to simply copy out as its original text.

• Probably I'm older than you so old fashioned really means old fashioned ;-)

1. Copy the entire TMX into one column in Excel with a separate row for each element

2. filter on <seg>

I added a row at the top just to have something to filter with

3. Copy the result to a new worksheet and add a column to the right and number the entries:

4. Now add another column and fill it with this formulae: +ISEVEN(B1).  Should get you this:

5. So now you can filter on the source (FALSE) or the target (TRUE):

6. Copy each set of results into another worksheet:

7. If you want to remove the <seg> elements as these are structural then simply search & replace.  I'd use a text editor for this as it's cleaner and you can also remove the blanks spaces more easily.  Then copy back into Excel:

Does that help?  It's actually pretty quick and for a one off probably faster than scripting it, or using XSLT.

• Okay, that's really hard core old fashion way :) I think for now I'd better trim the source and target content to achieve that, which is more faster than tons of search and replace.

BTW. Is it really hard to implement a feature make it possible to copy the tag text out from the Editor view? As the text in the tag is searchable already.

• BTW. Is it really hard to implement a feature make it possible to copy the tag text out from the Editor view? As the text in the tag is searchable already.

Harder than the process above, that's for sure!

But definitely doable.  If you have a developer then it might make sense for you, but for us I think it makes hardly any sense at all to spend valuable developer time on it.