Error in SDL Trados Studio 2019 with IDML files: The document cannot be processed since it contains unexpected contents.

Hello,

I found numerous entries for this problem, but did not find any solution I could apply. I was sent a project package by a client, containing 3 idml files, the package was loaded in Studio with no errors, but when I tried to click on the files, I received the following error: "The document cannot be processed since it contains unexpected contents.". I informed the client, received a second package (with the same mistake), then the client sent me just the files, with no project package, but the error persists. I tried both in Studio 2017 and 2019 and it doesn't work.

Here is the error description:

2047.errors_4_community.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<SDLErrorDetails time="6/29/2020 2:03:34 PM">
<ErrorMessage>The document cannot be processed since it contains unexpected contents.</ErrorMessage>
-<Exception>
<Type>Sdl.LanguagePlatform.Core.LanguagePlatformException, Sdl.LanguagePlatform.Core, Version=1.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888</Type>
<HelpLink/>
<Source>Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryTools</Source>
<HResult>-2146233088</HResult>
-<StackTrace>
<![CDATA[ at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryTools.LinguaSegmentBuilder.VisitSegment(ISegment segment) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Bilingual.Segment.AcceptVisitor(IMarkupDataVisitor visitor) at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryTools.LinguaSegmentBuilder.VisitChildNodes(IAbstractMarkupDataContainer container) at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryTools.LinguaSegmentBuilder.VisitTagPair(ITagPair tagPair) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Bilingual.TagPair.AcceptVisitor(IMarkupDataVisitor visitor) at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryTools.LinguaSegmentBuilder.VisitChildNodes(IAbstractMarkupDataContainer container) at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryTools.TUConverter.AppendToLinguaSegment(IAbstractMarkupDataContainer data, Segment result, LinguaTuBuilderSettings flags, List`1& tagAssociations, List`1& textAssociations) at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryTools.TUConverter.BuildLinguaSegmentInternal(CultureInfo culture, IAbstractMarkupDataContainer segment, LinguaTuBuilderSettings settings, Boolean& hasTrackChanges, List`1& tagAssociations, List`1& textAssociations) at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryTools.TUConverter.BuildLinguaSegment(CultureInfo culture, ISegment segment, Boolean includeTrackChanges) at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.RepetitionTableUpdater.GetSegmentIdentityHash(ISegmentPair segmentPair) at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.RepetitionTableUpdater.ProcessSegment(ISegmentPair segmentPair) at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Processors.RepetitionProcessor.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Utilities.BilingualApi.BilingualContentHandlerAdapter.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.BilingualApi.AbstractBilingualContentProcessor.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Processors.SegmentRenumberingBilingualProcessor.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Utilities.BilingualApi.BilingualContentHandlerAdapter.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.AbstractBilingualProcessorContainer.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.BilingualApi.AbstractBilingualContentProcessor.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.LocationMarkerLocator.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.AbstractBilingualProcessorContainer.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.FileExtractor.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Utilities.BilingualApi.ParagraphUnitBuffer.ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit pu) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.OutputParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit pu) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.ParseLocalizableParagraphUnit(transunit transunit, LockTypeFlags lockFlags) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.ParseTransUnit(transunit transunit) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.ParseGroup(group group) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.OnGroup(XmlElement groupElement) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.SdlXliffFeeder.<ContinueScanning>b__14_15(ISdlXliffStreamContentHandler handler) at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.ForEach(Action`1 action) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.SdlXliffFeeder.ContinueScanning() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.ContinueParsing() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.ParseNext() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.FileExtractor.ParseNext() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.ParseNext() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.Parse() at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocument.Load(IJobExecutionContext context) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.JobRequest.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job.<_worker_DoWork>b__46_0() at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job._worker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)]]>
</StackTrace>
</Exception>
-<Environment>
<ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
<ProductVersion>14.0.0.0</ProductVersion>
<EntryAssemblyFileVersion>14.1.10018.54792</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
<OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 7 Professional </OperatingSystem>
<ServicePack>Service Pack 1</ServicePack>
<OperatingSystemLanguage>1033</OperatingSystemLanguage>
<CodePage>1251</CodePage>
<LoggedOnUser>dell-PC\dell</LoggedOnUser>
<DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
<ComputerName>DELL-PC</ComputerName>
<ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
<PhysicalMemory>16677688 MB</PhysicalMemory>
</Environment>
</SDLErrorDetails>

Could you, please, help me with this?

Top Replies

• Just a note on your difficulty posting this in the first place.  The problem was the automated spam filter which didn't like the error message you posted as text.  In future if you save error message to your desktop you can then attach it to your post as an xml file and it gets rendered nicely as it is now (I edited your post).

On your problem.  Please try the following:

1. add a .zip extension to the package name in a new folder on your desktop
    2. unzip the package
    3. Navigate to the target language folder
    4. See if you can open the individual SDLXLIFF files and work on them without a problem?
  • Dear Paul,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I tried this workaround and now I can open two out of the three files from the package as individual files. But for one of them the error persists. 

• ok - so you could work on the two that are ok and simply send the translated sdlxliff files back to your customer.  But it would in the meantime be useful to check the one that fails.  I suggest you ask your customer to send you the same sdlxliff file that fails as a separate file, so not within the package.  See if that's any better?

If it also fails ask your client if they can open it?  If not, ask them to prepare the file again, and test again.

If that still fails ask f you can share the original source file with us?

• Dear Paul, 

Just to let you know that the client finally provided me with a version of the third file that is working (after several attempts). But as I see that this is a common problem with Studio, it would be best if the SDL team could work on resolving it. 

• But as I see that this is a common problem with Studio,

Really... where do you see this?

If it's a common problem we'll be happy to fix it if we can have feedback providing reliable ways to reproduce it.  In your case for example.  How did your client manage to create the failing file in the first place?  What did they do differently to get the third file working correctly.

The problem we will always have is that if we don't have reproducible problems then how and what do we fix?

• Well, when I searched for a fix for this problem, I found tens of colleagues sharing that they have experienced the same problem. Based on this I have come to the conclusion that this is something relatively common.

Regarding the question how the client fixed the files - they used an older version of Studio. I myself also find that the newest versions of Studio (2017 and 2019) happen to be more buggy than, for example, 2015, which was the perfect version of Studio I have experienced so far (and to which, unfortunately, I can no longer downgrade).

• I see.

Regarding the question how the client fixed the files - they used an older version of Studio.

Is it possible for us to see the original source file?  At least this way we can test it and if we also find there to be a problem we can fix it.