Autopropagation

Hi my dear translators and SDL team!

I have an issue with the translation of segments containing abbreveations (English - Russian). In the attached image you can see three highlighted segments containing three different words in upper case (FAT, SAT and SIT) and word "plan". I properly translate them and update the TM; but later on in the simmilar document, Trados keeps translating them as if they were the same 'cause for some reason it saves only one translation pair in the TM. So in the Translation Results section you can see that it keeps the right abbreveation in the brackets (which is SIT - System Integration Testing), but gives a wrong definition as if it was SAT (Site Acceptance Testing). Is there any solution to this?

Best regards,

Aik

Top Replies

Parents
  • The reason for Studio's behavior is this: SIT, SAT and FAT are considered placables, not words. Image they were numbers:

123 Plan

234 Plan

564 Plan

You can see that at the blue underline.

So from Studio's perspective, the source segment has only the word "Plan". In order to make efficient use of TMs, it will update translations. First you translated it one way, which was saved, then you translated Plan a different way, which replaced the first translation etc. So what you have to do is add the additional meanings of "Plan" as additional TUs (CTRL+Shift+U).

I did this, so for the third appearance of Acronym + "Plan" I get both suggestions from the TM, and it does not autopropagate anymore, since there are two TM hits:

I would suggest you enter these terms into your termbase as well.

Daniel

• The reason for Studio's behavior is this: SIT, SAT and FAT are considered placables, not words. Image they were numbers:

123 Plan

234 Plan

564 Plan

You can see that at the blue underline.

So from Studio's perspective, the source segment has only the word "Plan". In order to make efficient use of TMs, it will update translations. First you translated it one way, which was saved, then you translated Plan a different way, which replaced the first translation etc. So what you have to do is add the additional meanings of "Plan" as additional TUs (CTRL+Shift+U).

I did this, so for the third appearance of Acronym + "Plan" I get both suggestions from the TM, and it does not autopropagate anymore, since there are two TM hits:

I would suggest you enter these terms into your termbase as well.

Daniel

Children