How do I combine two monolingual yaml files (one for source, one for target language, similar to xml) in Studio for a partially existing translation project?

How do I combine two monolingual yaml files (one for source, one for target language, similar to xml) in Studio for a partially existing translation project?

The questions essentially already says it all, my client has a database in Locale App, from where it's possible to export databases but only in monolingual format. Their support tells me that it should be possible to open/combine the two monolingual files in Studio and go from there. This is necessary since part of the project is already translated. The two files will match perfectly, that should not be an issue, I just simply wouldn't know how to try that in Studio, even being a proficient user... Actually the format doesn't matter too much, it's the fact that I would need to open/combine two files perplexes me :).

Many thanks for your ideas!

Laura

• How do I combine two monolingual yaml files (one for source, one for target language, similar to xml) in Studio for a partially existing translation project?

Is this to create a TM with the already translated segments?  Assuming it is then just align the files, or at least the segments within them, to get your TM.  Then use this TM to pre-translate the source and translate whatever's missing.

Studio 2021 has a filetype for YAML, and if you have an earlier version you can use this from the appstore:

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-yaml/778/

If this isn't the usecase then you'll need to explain what it is?

• Thanks Paul, I'll check it out. Looks promising...

• In a way this is a very similar question to this one: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/regex_and_xpath/32238/custom-bilingual-xml-with-html-embedded-content/106300#106300

As demonstrated, I found a way to work with bilingual web files, but it is not a very pretty workflow.

I think it would be a real asset if this was possible natively in Studio, surely with xml, but maybe also with yaml. In web contexts, you often have an initual translation, then both (all) languages get independently modified outside the TMS/CAT context for SEO purposes etc. Then the source language is updated and this has to be reflected in the target, but without losing all optimization that has happened since. For us, this is the classic case where we need to work with a bilingual file.

Bilingual Excel is sometimes okay, but has quite a few limitations, e.g. no segmentation, no real handling of HTML entities ... It's great, a Swiss army knife for translation purposes. But if you are a butcher or a chef and you work with a knife all day every day, you are not going to choose a Swiss army knife...

Daniel

• There is already a filetype for YAML on the appstore that can handle bilingual YAML, in fact it can handle multilingual YAML but only one pair at a time:

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-yaml/778/

The PO, YAML, JSON filetypes from (Supertext) are a lot more versatile and useful than the out of the box filetypes.

However, I don't think they'll be helpful for the case in this thread which seems to be more of an alignment problem given the user has multiple monolingual files, not bilingual files.

• this thread which seems to be more of an alignment problem given the user has multiple monolingual files, not bilingual files.

My workflow (and I would think any workflow that segments a bilingual source, however many files it is in) does the alignment as a necessary part of the workflow, and I would hope for that to be possible without leaving the Studio cosmos, so to speak. I think you have all the components, you would just need to link them together.

It's roughly like this: Read both source and target as monolingual content from however many files, initial segmentation by elements, fields or whatever the fixed unit is, then attempt segmentation within and align if possible.

Daniel

• Thank you. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you, but my point is that in this thread the OP said this:

my client has a database in Locale App, from where it's possible to export databases but only in monolingual format.

So she has monolingual source files, and she needs to translate a monolingual source file.  So where does your workflow fit in this scenario?  Apologies if I'm just being dumb here.

• For my workflow it does not matter whether source and target are stored in one file or in two "parallel" files. The goal is to produce an XLF file with source and target so that the translator can work with the existing translations as a starting point.

• ok - I see where you're coming from now.  I was being dumb!

Can't you align and then save as an sdlxliff?  I think the alignment is important because if it doesn't match exactly you have an opportunity to change it.  But if it does it's only a couple of clicks and you're done.

• Can't you align and then save as an sdlxliff?

Of course you can, and in this case it may be the quickest way. But I often have projects with tens or hundreds of small files. I need a way to batch process this. My workflow is far from ideal, I think because I cobbled it together from freely available tools. If this was properly done within the framework of Studio, it might be a smooth, fast, easy to use process. Alas, I am not a developer.

Daniel

• I'd be interested to see what your process is.  Can you record a small demo perhaps and share it?  Maybe something could be done once we see what you're doing.  I don't think this is a common thing... although happy to be corrected on this... but based on this it probably won't be something the core product will be interested to look at, but perhaps it's something we could consider improving with the community developers.

• Hi Paul,

Just tried to align the yaml files. They looked good at first sight, contain the same amount of units in "Locale App" where they fiels came from (in case you're familiar with the app). The alignment looks alright at the beginning but after a couple dozen matches quits matching. I'm not sure how I ended up with extra lines/segments in the source language.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but... how about the file type for yaml, do I need to select that for the alignment already somehow? Or will Trados recognize it? FYI, I have 10 years experience with Trados as PM but I don't usually do much alignment or TM creation myself.

Just wondering if I may have overlooked something or if the files are just "bad" (e.g. any tags that could mess with segmentation)?

Much appreciate your help.

Best,

Laura

• Nah sorry, it's the files, they're all over the place and don't match due to empty units in Locale App... Face palm tone1

• Exactly what I'm trying to achieve but my yaml source files seem to be a "collection" of translated units, rather than a complete set of units (whether translated or not). So I'm left with a mismatched alignment since the translations are only partially done so far. Disappointed