Service Pack Releases deleting Client and Project lists

I've been a faithful patron of SDL Trados Studio since 2015.

I upgraded to 2017, then to 2019 Pro and now 2021 Pro.

As far as I can recall, every time I've installed an SR1 or SR2, my entire client and project lists have been wiped clean, i.e. deleted.

I don't recall this happening, though, when upgrading between the respective versions, especially not since the Migration Utility was released.

I have to recreate my client and project lists (not including any previous data, but from scratch) after every Service Pack that I install. Consequently, by every next SR I've only built up a Projects and Client list of the projects that I've done since the previous SR.

Up until now (2019 SR2) I've been "ok" (although really disappointed in SDL) to have to continue like that, but now that a "Client" column has finally been added to the Projects list (possibly the main reason I upgraded to 2021), I see no reason why I should continue in the manner I have been doing.

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain to me (if it's possible) how I could retrieve and combine my previous Projects and Clients lists that I built up since 2015, so that I can use the Migration Utility to migrate from 2019 to 2021 and end up with a nicely populated Projects list that also includes a nicely populated (and long-awaited) Clients column?

Looking forward to a solution!

Top Replies

  • Hi ,

    Old projects are kept in the file C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2019\Projects\projects.xml

    If you are really careful, you can try to copy the whole PROJECTS section (from <Projects…

Parents
  • Hi ,

    Old projects are kept in the file C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2019\Projects\projects.xml

    If you are really careful, you can try to copy the whole PROJECTS section (from <Projects> to </Projects>, leading spaces included) and paste it replacing the same section in the new project file:

    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2021\Projects\projects.xml

    I have been doing that with the USERS section for years, so it might work with PROJECTS and Customers (<Customers> section) as well.

    ☛ Please, don’t forget a couple of things:

    • First thing, close all instances of Trados Studio.
    • Last, but not least, backup the original XML file, just in case anything goes wrong...
  • Thanks Jesús Prieto!


    I tried that and it worked for both the project and customers.

    I opened up my 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2019 "projects.xml" files in Notepad++ and then copied the whole </Projects> and <Customers> sections into a new "projects.xml" which I pasted into C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2021\Projects\.

    Even though the format of the </Projects> sections in 2014 and 2015 are a little different (smaller) than their counterparts in the 2017 and 2019 "projects.xml" files, when I opened up Studio 2021, I had a complete list of projects and clients which I can now very nicely sort and group.

    Thanks for your help!

    By the way, do you have any clue why every Service Pack Release (SR1 and SR2) keeps on overwriting (wiping) the existing "projects.xml" file that's in the folder?

  • Glad it worked!

    I don't know really know why, maybe SDL can answer better than me, but I guess that it's always good idea to start from scratch from time to time, because the projects.xml file can get corrupted over time, as any other file. But the default XML will always work. Anyway, I understand that it'd be nice to have this somehow automated…

    I was quite confident the procedure would work for the projects but not so much for customers, as there is a customer ID, easily recognizable because its long string of characters.

    Be careful whenever you do it. I've messed things up at least once here, so always close Studio and create a backup.

Reply
  • Glad it worked!

    I don't know really know why, maybe SDL can answer better than me, but I guess that it's always good idea to start from scratch from time to time, because the projects.xml file can get corrupted over time, as any other file. But the default XML will always work. Anyway, I understand that it'd be nice to have this somehow automated…

    I was quite confident the procedure would work for the projects but not so much for customers, as there is a customer ID, easily recognizable because its long string of characters.

    Be careful whenever you do it. I've messed things up at least once here, so always close Studio and create a backup.

Children
No Data