Alignment error (object reference not set to an instance of an object)

Hi,

Can someone please help me with the following problem? I need to align two documents in Trados, but when I add a TM, I get this message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. What should I do to solve this problem?

Sofia.

Top Replies

• Hello @

Please post the full error stack as this is otherwise a very generic error message that doesn't provide us with any information.

Please also confirm the exact version of Trados Studio you are running and what files you are trying to align.

• Hello Steven,

First, I click on Align documents > +Add > select the TM from the list > OK - and this is when I get the message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

It happens even before I open the files I need to align (a word document and a PDF document). I tried to first open the files and then add a TM, but the same error message keeps appearing. I use SDL Trados Studio 2017.

• Hello @

• Steven,

Sorry, now I got what you meant Slight smile

sdlerror-202154-17h53m22s.sdlerror.sdlerror.xml
    <SDLErrorDetails time="5/4/2021 5:53:32 PM">
      <ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryManager</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryManager.ServerBasedTranslationMemoryManagementObject.RefreshTranslationMemory()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.Wizards.TranslationMemoryData.get_TranslationMemory()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.Wizards.TranslationMemoryData.SetTmLanguageDirection(LanguagePair languagePair)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.Wizards.TranslationMemoryData.SetTranslationMemory(ITranslationMemory translationMemory)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.Wizards.AlignDocumentsWizard.AlignDocumentsWizardPage.UpdateSiteData()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.Wizards.AlignDocumentsWizard.AlignDocumentsWizardPage.ControlOnTranslationMemoryValueChanged(Object sender, EventArgs eventArgs)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.Wizards.AlignDocumentsWizard.AlignDocumentsWizardControl.selectTranslationMemoryControl_TranslationMemoryValueChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryManager.Controls.SelectTranslationMemoryControl.OnTranslationMemoryValueChanged()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryManager.Controls.SelectTranslationMemoryControl._addServerbasedTMToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>14.0.0.0</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>14.1.10018.54792</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Майкрософт Windows 10 Корпоративная</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>1049</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1251</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>PTSECURITY\SKorobkova</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>SKOROBKOVA</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>16745756 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

• Hello @

First close Studio and then navigate to the following folder

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14.0.0.0

And now right click the TranslationMemoryRepository.xml and rename- adding something like _old

If you cant find this folder- then enable Hidden items

Restart Studio and see if the problem is now fixed.

• Hello Steven,

It worked! Thank you so much for your help.

Sofia.