Studio 2014: en dash replaced by simple hyphen when autopropagating

Dear all, I hope I am posting this in the right forum ...
In my current project in Studio 2014 (FrameMaker xml with variables) I notice a strange behavior of AutoPropagate: In German a value range from-to expressed with numbers must be written using an "en dash" (Alt + 0150), e.g. 100–250 °C. When autopropagating these segments (about 600) I noticed that the "en dash" was used correctly when the numbers were identical, however a simple hyphen appeared when the numbers changed, e.g. 100-280 °C. Did I miss an option somewhere or is this a general problem?

Regards,

Martina

• Hi Martina,

This is a known issue that is waiting for a fix, same problem in Studio 2015. The best advice I can give you (in the absence of anyone else offerring a better idea) is to allow Studio to do it's thing so you can take advantage of the auto-propagation and at least ensure the numbers are all correct, and then do a search & replace across the entire project at the end to put the en dash back.

If you need a bit of help knowing how best to do that let me know?

Regards

Paul
  • Hi Paul,

Good to know that you are already aware of the problem and working on a fix. Since I wasn't aware of the problem before using autopropagate, Studio already did its thing ;o)

In this case I will do a bit of filtering and Find&Replace as you suggested (and as was suggested by Jerzy and others on the BDÜ forum where I posted the problem, too).

Regards,
    Martina
  • Hi Paul (pfilkin), do you know if someone is addressing this problem at SDL? It seems to be still an issue in 2019...

See attached picture:

• Thanks for bringing this up again, Angelo! I can confirm this annoying behaviour. Since I often use en dashes in German (Switzerland), this really is an issue and sometimes makes the autopropagate function useless. Would be great if this problem could be solved!
    Best regards,
    Annemieke
  • Hi Paul,

I think this should be prioritized. The flaw has been around for a long time and is not just irritating, it also leads to extra work which is not always paid for when handling e.g. data tables in large documents. I am doing a job right now where this is the case and I would really appreciate a correctly working auto-propagation.

Example segment:
    Source (En): 8.00–16.00 mm
    Desired target (Sv): 8,00–16,00 mm

Using auto-propagation, the point is correctly subtituted with a comma but the n-dash is incorrectly substituted with a hyphen. If I do a search and replace, I have to go through each segment (cannot use Replace all) since hyphen should be used in some target segments. Also, if I confirm any of these changed segments afterwards, with auto-propagation enabled, the hyphen will be reinserted again. Since all segments must have status "Translated" with this client, I can either disable auto-propagation (which is needed for the rest of the translation) and confirm the changed segments one by one, or (preferably) select all segments and change their status to "Translated" all at once.

In practice, this means that I have to remember to perform this search/replace operation at the end of the project when everything else has been done. I.e. your recommendation to "do a search & replace across the entire project at the end to put the en dash back" should be taken literally. Basically, I just think this flaw should be rectified so we don't have to spend time on fixing the translations in the end.

• I think this should be prioritized. The flaw has been around for a long time and is not just irritating, it also leads to extra work which is not always paid for when handling e.g. data tables in large documents.

I completely agree.  I have asked for an update on when this will get addressed and I'll let you know when I find out.

• Thank you for that Paul! Auto-propagation is a great feature and works very well in general. I know you cannot achieve this on your own, but it's good if others at SDL get a nudge in the right direction. :-)

Best,
    Magnus