'api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll' is missing from your computer

Dear Colleagues, 

I have tried to create a new project in SDL Studio 2015 (and later in Studio 2014) but as soon as I get to entering/browsing for the location of the project files, I get the following error message:

'The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this program.'

Reinstalling the programs and installing updates do not help. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to resolve this problem? 

Thank you in advance for your tips, with kind regards,

Zsofia Csaba (EN, DE, ES>HU translator)

• Correction of the error message:
    'The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.'

Additional info:

I'm using:
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Microsoft Office Professonal Plus 2013 and SDL Trados Studio 2015 SR-2.

In case it is relevant:
    Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 (x64) / 2013 (x86) / 2012 (x86) / 2010 (x86/x64) / 2008 (x86/x64) / 2005 ;
    Microsoft WSE 2.0 SP3 Runtime
  • Hi Zsófia,

This isn't a Studio error.  I googled it and the solution seems to be that the KB2999226 (Universal CRT) which is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 failed to install.

Suggested Solution

1. Install Windows Updates:
      Go to Start - Control Panel - Windows Update
      Check for updates
      Install all available updates.
      After the updates are installed, restart your computer.
      After the restart repeat the steps above again until no more updates are available.

2. Download the Visual C++ Redistributable:

For Windows 64-bit
      Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 (64-bit)
      For Windows 32-bit
      Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 (32-bit) 

3. Run the vc_redist.x64.exe (64-bit) or vc_redist.x86.exe (32-bit) and select Uninstall
    4. Run the .exe again and select Install 
  • Good morning, Paul,

Thank you for your reply! I have also found the same solution in the meantime. The interesting thing is that I could not install KB2999226 no matter what tricks I tried (following the recommendations of the website or others). However, once I installed all Windows updates found by my computer and restarted the machine, the problem was resolved.

Thank you once more for your quick reply.

Have a nice day,
    Zsofia Csaba