New MT in Studio 2017

Good morning everyone,

I'm checking this new personalized MT feature that will come with Studio 2017. 

My question is: what is the source of this MT? SDL MT? Google? A mix?

Thank you in advance!

Parents
  • Hi Álvaro,

For the adaptive MT the source is our own. Only our own MT is "non static"/adaptive whereas Google etc. are static.

Regards

Paul
  • Hmm, that's a shame, as I find will Google Translate and Microsoft Translator very good sometimes in my pair/direction, and am happily using them especially with MT AutoSuggest.

Are there any plans to also allow adaptive MT to also work with other MT providers, or is there a specific technical/commercial reason why this is not possible?

Michael

• Michael Beijer said:
    Are there any plans to also allow adaptive MT to also work with other MT providers, or is there a specific technical/commercial reason why this is not possible?

Not commercial at all.  Entirely technical.  If you think about it the MT engine has to be able to do a few things (at least!):

1. Accept corrected translations

2. Use the corrections to adapt the translation algorithms

3. Do this in realtime

All of these things are outside of our control.  So if other MT providers developed a solution that could handle something like this then it would be perfectly feasible.  Otherwise, it won't happen.

Regards

Paul

• PS: just running some tests with the generic SDL Language Cloud vs Google Translate and Microsoft Translator on the (nl>en) patent application I'm currently translating, and GT wins hands down. Microsoft Translator comes in second, and SDL's offering, sadly, comes in last.

However, although I know virtually nothing about the underlying technology, I suspect there will be no way to make your new AdaptiveMT system work with Google et al., as you obviously don't have access to their engines, dictionaries, etc.
  • I see. Hmm, well, I'll just have too wait and see how good your SDL Language Cloud system is. my options seem to be the following:

(1) stick with Google Translate/Microsoft Translator, which has better quality (and which is already great inside Studio together with MT AutoSuggest)

(2) use SDL Language Cloud + AdaptiveMT (maybe AdaptiveMT will make up for the engine's lower quality) 

(3) try Lilt (which, although developed by ex-Google people, says they don't use the Google Translate engine, and have developed their own)

(4) use Slate Desktop (which I own a licence for), to create my own engines and use them via the plugin inside SDL Studio. however, so far, I have never been able to create one that is even remotely better than Google Translate

Michael

• Well, you do say that the basis is SDL Language Cloud, which is another source of MT, so I don't understand (from my newb point of view, of course) why another source of MT can be used as a basis, and then grow that MT individually with the adaptive MT function.

Anyway, if we can only use SDL Language Cloud, will we have unlimited MT words for free or will we need to pay for the extra ones per month?

Thank you!
  • Álvaro de Marcos said:
    Well, you do say that the basis is SDL Language Cloud, which is another source of MT, so I don't understand (from my newb point of view, of course) why another source of MT can be used as a basis, and then grow that MT individually with the adaptive MT function.

Because Google, Microsoft and anyone else would have to correct their MT based on what you change.  They don't do that!!  This is out of our hands altogether.  SDL Language Cloud is ours and we take the correction and then tweak the SDL Language Cloud MT based on your personal changes so that it's better next time for you.

The SDL Language Cloud limits will probably be similar to what they are now.  So you get reasonable use for free and for any more you pay.

Regards

Paul

• Hi Paul,

I know that adaptive MT does not work into Polish. But will it work Polish to English? Or must both languages be supported for it to work?

Regards,

Piotr
Reply Children