SDL Subtitling - File Type Error

Hello everyone,

Today, I've been trying to use Studio Subtitling for a subtitle project. But I get this error every time I open the subtitle file for translation:

The file type 'SRT v 1.0.3.0' used to generate the document is not compatible with this release of the plugin. Documents created with a file type version greater than or equal to '1.1.4.0' are compatible.

My SDL Trados is updated to the latest version and I've tried multiple subtitle files. Is there any way to resolve this issue?

Top Replies

Parents
  • Hi ,

The message informs you that you have not installed the latest file types plugins compatible with the subtitling plugin. 

Please find the latest versions and install them from here:

https://appstore.sdl.com/list/?search=subtitling

Let me know if it works alright afterwards!

Regards,

• Hi ,

Thank you for your answer, it worked. I've installed the SRT plugin and now I can use Studio Subtitling. However, I've tested two different subtitles and, ironically, the one that was much shorter took about 1 hour to being processed, while the other took about 5 minutes. I'm not sure what's the reason, but I believe it needs improvement, and it would be much better to have all theses features embedded in SDL Trados Studio (without a need of installing plugins).

• However, I've tested two different subtitles and, ironically, the one that was much shorter took about 1 hour to being processed, while the other took about 5 minutes.

Can you share the files?  You can send them to pfilkin@sdl.com if that's ok.

it would be much better to have all theses features embedded in SDL Trados Studio (without a need of installing plugins).

Yes and no... the development of the subtitling plugin has been an evolving process as we learned more and more about the requirements from professional subtitlers.  This started with the fairly usual "you can't use a CAT tool for subtitling" and "there is no value in this" to slowly becoming "it would be better if you could add this feature and that feature".  We have reached a point where the features are really good, perhaps not 100% there and they may never get to be 100%, but it's really useful and better than any other solution you'll find in a CAT.  All of this has been possible because it was not embedded in Studio.

If you embed in Studio you need to wait for releases to achieve any changes, and the changes are often not wide ranging. As a separate plugin we can make changes from one day to the next and we can dedicate time to make sure things work as needed.  The flexibility this provides is huge.

You may have noticed that CU8 released last week actually added support for a new SRT, and also SBV, webVTT and SUB.  So these now work out of the box and you have the added advantage that they work properly with the subtitling plugin because they use the fundamental code the appstore created to support the necessary features.

For the time being we will continue to maintain separate plugins on the appstore because we will work on more formats, and we might need to make further changes.

So I would not be so quick to complain that these are not embedded... it's not always the most flexible solution to begin with even though there are definitely benefits within the supply chain for everyone having these filetypes in the software.  Personally I think all new filetypes should be distributed through the apptore first and only added into the product when they have become well used in practice.

• Interesting... the appstore filetypes do seem to struggle with these for some reason and segment the files completely incorrectly.  I suggest you activate the out of the box version from CU18 as this opens both files without any problems in well under a minute.

We'll investigate the problems with your files... 

• Hi ,

I don't have this file type, do I need to install something? I have Trados SR2 15.2.4.1693 installed.

Reply Children
No Data