What is a difference between Language Cloud translation engine and SDL Machine Translation?

How can I choose Language Cloud  translation engine and SDL Machine Translation? I do not understand what is a difference between the two options.

Top Replies

• I moved this thread into a more appropriate community forum so we can try to answer this for you here.  Here's my take...

First of all note that "Language Cloud" is a platform…

Parents
  • I moved this thread into a more appropriate community forum so we can try to answer this for you here.  Here's my take...

First of all note that "Language Cloud" is a platform and not a product.  "Trados Live" is the product you are probably using when you refer to the use of a translation engine.  This is an important concept because you can have many different things on this platform.  For example "Language Cloud" supports the use of:

• translation engines
    • machine translation
    • terminology
    • etc.

A "translation engine" is a resource you can create in "Trados Live" that can be used in a translation project to provide:

• translation memories
    • machine translation engines
    • terminology providers
    • language processing rules
    • etc.

"SDL Machine Translation" is simply machine translation provided by SDL.  So this is just one resource that can be added to a "translation engine".

Within "Trados Live" the machine translation that can be provided currently comes from various sources but I fully expect this to increase over time in the same way Trados Studio has multiple machine translation providers available through the appstore:

• SDL Machine Translation (this is provided out of the box)
    • Google
    • Microsoft
    • DeepL
    • Amazon

The latter four are added to "Trados Live" through the "Add-ons" feature:

First of all note that "Language Cloud" is a platform and not a product.  "Trados Live" is the product you are probably using when you refer to the use of a translation engine.  This is an important concept because you can have many different things on this platform.  For example "Language Cloud" supports the use of:

• translation engines
    • machine translation
    • terminology
    • etc.

A "translation engine" is a resource you can create in "Trados Live" that can be used in a translation project to provide:

• translation memories
    • machine translation engines
    • terminology providers
    • language processing rules
    • etc.

"SDL Machine Translation" is simply machine translation provided by SDL.  So this is just one resource that can be added to a "translation engine".

Within "Trados Live" the machine translation that can be provided currently comes from various sources but I fully expect this to increase over time in the same way Trados Studio has multiple machine translation providers available through the appstore:

• SDL Machine Translation (this is provided out of the box)
    • Google
    • Microsoft
    • DeepL
    • Amazon

The latter four are added to "Trados Live" through the "Add-ons" feature:

Children
No Data