Unable to export files or check-out files in Trados Studio when the GroupShare project creator has different credentials ?

Error message in Trados Studio stating 'You have to log on as user 'fannequin@sdl.com' to this project, because this is the user account you used to publish or open the project initially.' with an OK button.

Hi,

When opening a project in Review state with my user credentials, Trados Studio shows an error message asking me to use the credentials of the project creator.

The project was published in GroupShare 2017, and I was correctly added as a user with review rights.

I cannot export the files a WLIFF either on my computer due to the same issue.

This issue is NOT an issue from Trados Studio as this problem does not appear with GroupShare 2015.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 6:34 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi ,

This error may happen for various reasons. One scenario is working on a project from a shared network drive that has been published to GroupShare, but is still being worked on by other users who open the project in Studio directly from that network share instead of using File -> Open -> Open Trados GroupShare Project (and saving the files to a local drive).

Regardless of whether the above applies to your situation or not, please try the following:

1. Go to the Projects view in Studio. Right-click the project and choose Remove from List -> Yes.

2. Go to File -> Setup -> Servers. Edit the server and double-check the Username and Password are correct. Save and changes and close the Servers list.

3. Go to File -> Open -> Open Trados GroupShare Project. Open the project from the server and make sure you save the project somewhere on your C: drive. Note that you will not be able to save it in the same location it was before (unless you move or delete the original project files).

Let me know if this works or not. If not, and you have difficulty opening the project again, please provide further screenshots including any errors.

Kind regards,
    Nick

• Hi ,

This error may happen for various reasons. One scenario is working on a project from a shared network drive that has been published to GroupShare, but is still being worked on by other users who open the project in Studio directly from that network share instead of using File -> Open -> Open Trados GroupShare Project (and saving the files to a local drive).

Regardless of whether the above applies to your situation or not, please try the following:

1. Go to the Projects view in Studio. Right-click the project and choose Remove from List -> Yes.

2. Go to File -> Setup -> Servers. Edit the server and double-check the Username and Password are correct. Save and changes and close the Servers list.

3. Go to File -> Open -> Open Trados GroupShare Project. Open the project from the server and make sure you save the project somewhere on your C: drive. Note that you will not be able to save it in the same location it was before (unless you move or delete the original project files).

Let me know if this works or not. If not, and you have difficulty opening the project again, please provide further screenshots including any errors.

Kind regards,
    Nick

Children
  • Hi Nick,

First things first: it works. Slight smile

The origin of the issue was the fact that I used to open the same master project as the one who created it, so that we could avoid creating one MP for each step of the project and restrict data dissemination. This is unfortunately not possible anymore and increases the quantity of data and the number of clicks to make for one project. :(

To complement your answer, if someone has made the same mistake, I recommend to the user 1) to copy-paste the saved files in the MP in another location on his/her desktop and 2) to paste the saved files again in the newly created MP before checking-in (it worked on my project)

Thanks Nick !

Jonathan

• Hi ,

Thank you for confirming that everything works now.

The root cause of the issue is with the .sdlproj file which is Studio's way of storing data related to each project. Although it is not recommended, and is part of the reason GroupShare exists, multiple users are able to open a project from the same location on a shared drive and able to collaborate in this way (see known issues for reasons why we discourage this workflow).

However, as soon as somebody publishes the project to GroupShare, the .sdlproj file is modified by Studio, and now contains user-specific information. From here on, as far as Studio is concerned, this project is 'owned' by the person who published it. It expects all communication between Studio and the GroupShare server to be performed as this user.

The way GroupShare works is that you publish your data to the GroupShare server and then assign it to translators, reviewers, etc. in different phases. They then open the project, and save it locally. They check their assigned files out, and then back in again once they have finished. This eliminates the need to use any other sort of network share. In fact, we don't even advise saving the project to a private network drive, as network speed and other communication issues can drastically affect performance.

It might help to think of GroupShare as your main file store, and the local hard drives of the translators as a temporary location where they work and then send their finished work back to the file store when they have finished. This project data can stay on the GroupShare server indefinitely if needed so any of the users (who have permissions) can retrieve old projects at a later date.

Kind regards,
    Nick