Constant issues with SDL Groupshare

Hello! We run SDL Groupshare 2017 SR1 CU10. It seems that every day brings a new challenge with services stopping unexpectedly, translators not being able to access TMs, etc. Today we had two more translators working on a project who said they cannot access the TMs on or Groupshare server. I got them to share their screen and I was able to control their computers. I went in to the project settings, removed the TM, re-added it and then it worked.

WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING? Is it a setting on our server? 

Parents
  • Hi ,

What exactly happened when the translators couldn't access the TMs on the server? Did TM lookups suddenly stop working? If so could you re-enable the TM in the Project Settings? Why was it necessary to remove the TM and then add it again? What happened when you tried to tick the box to set the server-based TM to be Enabled?

There are two possible scenarios that I can think of:

1. The connection between the GroupShare server and Studio on the translators' computers was interrupted and the TM became disabled. In this situation, going into Project Settings and ticking the box to Enable it again should have resolved the issue.

2. A user with the Project Manager role or higher (i.e. Power User or Administrator) disabled (or removed) the TM from the Project Settings. In this instance, these new project settings will have been shared amongst all of the other users working on the project thus disabling (or removing) the server-based TM.

I hope these suggestions help.

Kind regards,
    Nick

• I don't think it's a connectivity issue. It happens too often for it to be an occasional blip in the connection. The TM suddenly stops working. The only way to fix it is to remove it from the project and add it back in. You cannot do anything else, because all the tick boxes are grayed out when you open the project. No PMs are disabling the TMs. That would defeat the purpose of our setup and add more work (and frustration) to our workflow. We are also using Plunet in conjunction with SDL Trados and SDL Groupshare, and I cannot even begin to tell you how many problems we have had with Plunet. It seems the issues have gotten worse after our server upgrade (we migrated everything from our existing two servers to two new servers with higher CPU and RAM capacity, so maybe there are some settings that are causing our issues....)...I don't know.

• Just to confirm - is each translator opening the project from File -> Open -> Open Trados GroupShare Project and saving the project on their local C: drive, or are they using File -> Open -> Open Project and opening the project from a shared network location? The latter can cause all sorts of unexpected behaviour.

When the TM is disabled (and not able to be re-enabled) are there any errors in the GroupShare log files in C:\ProgramData\SDL\Service\Logs ? In particular the TMService.log and TMServiceAgent.log files. There may also be clues in the Studio log files which can be found at C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14.0.0.0 for Studio 2017 or C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\15.0.0.0 for Studio 2019.

Finally, it may sound obvious, but are you using the latest version of Studio 2017 SR1 / Studio 2019 SR2?

• Just to confirm - is each translator opening the project from File -> Open -> Open Trados GroupShare Project and saving the project on their local C: drive, or are they using File -> Open -> Open Project and opening the project from a shared network location? The latter can cause all sorts of unexpected behaviour.

When the TM is disabled (and not able to be re-enabled) are there any errors in the GroupShare log files in C:\ProgramData\SDL\Service\Logs ? In particular the TMService.log and TMServiceAgent.log files. There may also be clues in the Studio log files which can be found at C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14.0.0.0 for Studio 2017 or C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\15.0.0.0 for Studio 2019.

Finally, it may sound obvious, but are you using the latest version of Studio 2017 SR1 / Studio 2019 SR2?

Children
No Data