How to avoid doubled double quotes?

Screenshot of Trados Studio error message indicating redundant quotation marks in the source text after CSV export and reimport.

Hi,

in the source text we have some sentences with a quote e.g. in the middle. No problem so far, when translating in Passolo. However, when we exported it to CSV and had it reimported, the sentences had an additional quotation mark in the beginning and in the end. The additional quotes cannot be seen in Excel but when opened with a simple text editor.

Has anyone a workaround for this problem?

BR,

gabi

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 10:32 AM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi Gabi,

I understand why you would want to use Excel as a means for translation. The trick is NOT to "export" translation from Excel.

There is a workaround that we know always worked.

1. Use Customizable Text Export option - File will be reimported in Passolo option must be checked (see the screenshot below).
    2. Translate it in Excel as usual.
    3. In Excel, select the entire worksheet and copy (Ctrl+C).
    4. Open the original text export file from Passolo in a good text editor. For this step, you will need a good text editor, such as EmEditor (paid) or Notepad++ (free).
    5. Select all the content in the original text export file (Ctrl+A) and hit Delete.
    6. Paste the worksheet content into the export file (Ctrl+V) and hit save. This way, you don't need to worry about encoding, etc.
    7. Import the translated export file into Passolo project.

Trados Studio Customize Text Format dialog box with 'File will be reimported in PASSOLO' option checked.

I hope this helps.

Thanks - Naoko

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 10:33 AM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
  • Hi Gabi,

I understand why you would want to use Excel as a means for translation. The trick is NOT to "export" translation from Excel.

There is a workaround that we know always worked.

1. Use Customizable Text Export option - File will be reimported in Passolo option must be checked (see the screenshot below).
    2. Translate it in Excel as usual.
    3. In Excel, select the entire worksheet and copy (Ctrl+C).
    4. Open the original text export file from Passolo in a good text editor. For this step, you will need a good text editor, such as EmEditor (paid) or Notepad++ (free).
    5. Select all the content in the original text export file (Ctrl+A) and hit Delete.
    6. Paste the worksheet content into the export file (Ctrl+V) and hit save. This way, you don't need to worry about encoding, etc.
    7. Import the translated export file into Passolo project.

Trados Studio Customize Text Format dialog box with 'File will be reimported in PASSOLO' option checked.

I hope this helps.

Thanks - Naoko

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 10:33 AM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
Children