.Net Add-In .dll in different folder

Hi,

is it possible to run the addin.dll from a different folder?

I want the addin.dll to be located in for example C:\temp

5 Replies Latest Replies: 17 Mar 2017 7:22 AM by Robert K.
  • Hi Vincenzo,

try Symlinker, I think it will work for your purpose.

• Can you please tell me the use case for this request? Manipulating the folder structure of installed programs is always quite risky. Same as if you move around some Word DLLs which I would assume will break something.

SDL Passolo has an option to let additional add-ins start from another directory. Go to File – Options – System – Advanced and insert the folder from which you would like to load an add-in. Please do NOT move around the .NET parser directory.
  • In reply to Achim Herrmann:

The reason why I asked this is because I want to install my Add-In on many computers but I don't know how to deal with varying local paths.

The Pass.AddIn.Framework.dll and the Pass.AddIn.Core.dll is located in a different folder depending on which System I am.

Do I need to change this path?

Case:
    Computer 1: C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Passolo\SDL Passolo 2016
    Computer 2: C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Passolo\SDL Passolo Translator 2015
    Computer 3: C:\SDL\SDL Passolo\SDL Passolo 2016

I could compile my Add-In for each computer with its own paths but is this the only solution?

• In reply to Vincenzo Gallina:

Ok, this explains the use case. Please be aware not installing your actual core DLLs with your add-in. Each Passolo installation has its own core DLLs where the API is slightly different. From a general approach you will be able to write an add-ins that works with all 2015 and 2016 CUs without changes.

The actual problem you have must be solved programmatically in your installer. Your installer must look into the registry and find out which versions of Passolo are installed and in which directory. Then you can pick one of the installation directories from the registry and install your add-in into the corresponding "system" sub folder.

Related