Using Dragon to go to the current target segment

I have found a way to reliably move the cursor to the current target segment (with two minor inconveniences).

I often leave the Studio window and when I come back I generally want to land in the current target segment in Editor view. But I often leave the cursor somewhere else, generally in a source segment or the editor TM window.

All I could find to move around in Editor view is the F6 shortcut to toggle from source to target, and the Ctrl-Tab shortcut to move through the various windows in Editor view. Neither one of these can be used to reliably move to the current target segment if you do not know where the cursor is.

The first partial solution I noticed was that switching to another view (e.g. the Reports view) and then back to Editor view will move the cursor from the source segment to the target segment. But this does not help if the cursor is in another Editor window, such as the editor TM window.

I then looked at everything else that might possibly move the cursor.

Bookmarks are no help. I also noticed once again that even though I have a new computer and a new installation of Studio 2017, the AnyTM, Bookmarks and Insert Symbols sections still disappear from the Advanced ribbon when the cursor is placed in a non-translated segment. I mentioned this in the forum before for Studio 2014 or 2015, but it is still happening. I always thought that perhaps there was something wrong somewhere in my system, but since the hardware is new and the OS and Studio were freshly installed from scratch, I am pretty sure this is a Studio bug -- which will probably be with us forever.

I then looked at the Ctrl-G (Go To) shortcut. It offered a somewhat messy workaround. While I was trying possibilities, I noticed that the Alt keys for toggling the various checkboxes do not work. If you have the "Go To" dialog box open, then pressing the Alt key activates the ribbon (?!), which is pretty bizarre. I did not think that the focus could be in two places at once, but if you tab around to a checkbox in the Go To box then the spacebar toggle works, so somehow the ribbon is intercepting just the Alt sequences, and not even all of the Alt sequences, since Alt-Space still activates a dropdown list in the Go To dialog box.

Anyway, since I rarely use Studio comments, I noticed that I could scroll down the list in the Go To box to the "Comments" section, then press return to get an error message saying there were no comments. When I acknowledged the message I would be dropped into the current target segment, no matter where the cursor was before.

So that provided one workaround, but a pretty messy one, especially if I did actually happen to use Studio comments in a file.

The last possibility I tried provided a solution -- with two inconveniences.

If you use the "Refresh Filter" command, then as far as I can tell you will be returned to the current target segment no matter where the cursor is in Editor view. There are two drawbacks. First, sometimes you don't want to refresh the filter. Second, the current segment is then displayed at the top of the editor window and has to be scrolled down to a more comfortable location. I can try adding several scroll down commands to the Dragon macro.

I also tried all of the other possibilities offered by filters. When I tried opening and closing the Advanced Display Filter window with my mouse, I first thought something was wrong, since the cursor simply disappears and nothing happens when letter keys or arrow keys are pressed. I then noticed that a tab key would bring the cursor back from limbo and into the current target segment. 

I thought this was a solution without the drawbacks of the "Refresh Filter" command. Unfortunately, I then noticed that even though one can set a shortcut key to open the Advanced Display Filter window, the shortcut does not appear to work, regardless of what you use. The solution is to use the ribbon Alt-VY command. But then I noticed that there does not appear to be any way to close a Studio window with the keyboard once it is open. They can only be closed with a mouse click as far as I can see, which rules out this option for a Dragon macro.

That leaves me with just the "Refresh Filter" command as a workaround. I can use it to define a Dragon "switch to Studio" macro that switches back to the Studio window, goes to the Editor view (as Paul mentioned, a shortcut key can be defined for this) and then automatically takes me to the current target segment (using the "Refresh Filter" command). If need be, I can define a second macro, e.g. "switch to Studio lite", to switch back to the Studio window and Editor view without executing the Refresh Filter command.

Please let me know if I missed a better solution, or missed something glaringly obvious again, like I did with the view window shortcuts yesterday :-)

Best regards,

Bruce Campbell

ASAP Language Services