Create "Read this" command (Dragon) to ask Dragon to read target segment in Trados

Hello everyone, 

I am trying my best to create new commands inside Dragon, but I can't figure out the code to be able to read target segments directly inside Studio (using the "Read this" function of Dragon), without having to open the Dictate box of Dragon.

I thought about using Windows' narrator, but I could find out how to just select and read text. 

Can anyone help? I use the French version of Studio, last version updated.

Thanks a lot!

Mathilde

• Hi Mathilde,

I use the following list command, created in KnowBrainer as a Dragon Voice Command (DVC), for Spanish:

Command name: Leer <Leer_2>

SetMicrophone 0
    If _arg1 = "That" Then SendKeys ""
    If _arg1 = "Document" Then SendKeys "{Ctrl+a}"
    If _arg1 = "All" Then SendKeys "{Ctrl+a}"
    If _arg1 = "Next Paragraph" Then SendSystemKeys "{Ctrl+Down}{Ctrl+Shift+Up}"
    If _arg1 = "Previous Paragraph" Then SendSystemKeys "{Ctrl+Down}{Ctrl+Shift+Down}"
    If _arg1 = "Line" Then SendSystemKeys "{Home}{Shift+End}"
    If _arg1 = "Segmento" Then SendSystemKeys "{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down}"
    If _arg1 = "Siguiente" Then SendSystemKeys "{Down}{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down}"
    If _arg1 = "Siguiente segmento" Then SendSystemKeys "{Down}{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down}"
    If _arg1 = "Siguientes tres segmentos" Then SendSystemKeys "{Down}{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down 3}"
    If _arg1 = "Siguientes cinco segmentos" Then SendSystemKeys "{Down}{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down 5}"
    If _arg1 = "Siguientes diez segmentos" Then SendSystemKeys "{Down}{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down 10}"
    If _arg1 = "Siguientes veinte segmentos" Then SendSystemKeys "{Down}{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down 20}"
    If _arg1 = "Anterior" Then SendSystemKeys "{Ctrl+PgUp}{Up}{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down}"
    If _arg1 = "Segmento anterior" Then SendSystemKeys "{Ctrl+PgUp}{Up}{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down}"
    If _arg1 = "Tres segmentos anteriores" Then SendSystemKeys "{Ctrl+PgUp}{Up}{Ctrl+PgDn}{Ctrl+Shift+Up 3}"
    If _arg1 = "Cinco segmentos anteriores" Then SendSystemKeys "{Ctrl+PgUp}{Up}{Ctrl+PgDn}{Ctrl+Shift+Up 5}"
    If _arg1 = "Diez segmentos anteriores" Then SendSystemKeys "{Ctrl+PgUp}{Up}{Ctrl+PgDn}{Ctrl+Shift+Up 10}"
    If _arg1 = "Hasta aquí" Then SendKeys "{Ctrl+Shift+Home}"
    If _arg1 = "Hasta el final" Then SendKeys "{Ctrl+Shift+End}"
    Wait 500
    SendKeys "{Ctrl+c}"
    Wait 500
    SendKeys "{Left}"
    Wait 250
    TTSPlayString ""
    SetMicrophone 1

• Hello Nora! Thanks a lot for your reply!! 

Now you may explain me how can I translate this piece of code into my french version??

• I don't use KnowBrainer, do you think I can program this only with a Dragon command?

• I don't think so, or at least, I was never able to create a command for this directly in Dragon. 

Have you tried the SDL TTS app? It may give you the functionality you need. It's in the app store: https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/sdl-tts/1036/

• You would just need to:

1. Change all the Spanish to French, including the name of the command; leave the English as is

2. Create a list with the appropriate entries, as this is a list command, so that the appropriate list items are mapped to the code.

My list (Leer_2) for this command looks like this:

The English equivalents for the items in the list are:

That

Document

All

Next Paragraph

Previous Paragraph

Paragraph

Line

Up to Here

To the End

Segment

Previous Segment

Next Segment

Next

Previous

Next Three Segments

Next Five Segments

Next Ten Segments

Previous Three Segments

Previous Five Segments

Previous Ten Segments

Next Twenty Segments

This means, for example, that when I say "Leer siguiente segmento" (the underlined portion is an item from the list), which means "Read next segment", the command will find the appropriate line in the code:

If _arg1 = "Siguiente segmento" Then SendSystemKeys "{Down}{Ctrl+PgUp}{Ctrl+Shift+Down}"

and press the keys Down+Ctrl+PgUp+Ctrl+Shift+Down, which will select the contents of the next segment, which will then be sent to the text to speech engine.

• Thank you so much for helping!

I am now trying to install the plug in to see if it can help me directly.

I have it on my available plug-ins in studio, but it does not open... I followed the installation steps but I guess something's wrong. Hard to be alone with all this!

• Dear Mathilde,

I wanted to do exactly what you said, and I found an easy solution: a program called TextAloud (I have version 4). I think I just paid a little bit to have other voices: I have four different ones Blush.

You just have to download it and open it. Go to “Control center” and then “Show floating toolbar”, and you will see a toolbar. You select the text you want to hear and do “Speak”, and that’s it! It works perfectly with SDL 2019, you can even select text in different segments as well. It is very useful for me.

I really hope it will also work for you, please, tell us. Good luck!

• I use Natural Reader with an AHK script when not dictating.

• Muchas gracias Maria Consuelo! Esto de seguro me servira mucho... tb lo pensé pero como ya habia hecho varios intentos de plug in y cosas que no me resultaron, no me queria meter a otro programa externo. En todo caso parece ser una buena solucion, y simple! Gracias por el dato!

• Hola Nora! Como es eso del AHK script? Me imagino que Natural reader es parecido a TextAloud, pero hay que añadirle lineas de programacion? a eso te refieres?