Does anyone know whether Studio 2017 will offer Full Text Control for Dragon NaturallySpeaking?

Looking at previous threads, I am encouraged to see that SDL are looking at improving compatibility with DNS and other programs that are designed to enhance accessibility. 

I see that there is a new version of Studio coming out soon, so it seems like a good time to ask again whether SDL is going to be implementing full compatibility of the editor with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. As others have pointed out, MemoQ and DejaVu have been fully compatible for some time and it is a little odd that Studio hasn't followed suit yet.

Does anyone know whether Trados Studio 2017 will offer full text control?

A description of full text control can be found here: www.nuance.com/.../about_full_text_control.htm

• Hi Nora,

I'm using DNS 15 now. Thanks for the information about correction, I didn't know that and it's good to know. The spacing and lack of capitalisation are a problem for me, but using the dictation box is less annoying than trying to get by without it, so that is what I use. Full text control would be ideal, but it sounds like that will come eventually, so it is just a case of waiting for that to happen...
  • That's interesting, Rob, I'm still on DPI14 as Spanish won't be out for a while. What kind of spacing issues are you seeing with DPI15? I don't use the dictation box at all, I dictate directly into Studio. I have posted a few examples on YouTube, such as this one:

As for full text control, if and when it comes, it will certainly be welcome, but in the meantime, custom commands are a great way to get around it.

• Hi Nora. The spacing issues are the same as other people have had I think. Basically if I move the cursor inside a segment and then return to a point where I want to start dictating again, I have a space missing and two words run into one another. It would be a problem I guess, but I am slowly getting used to using the dictation box and adding a few commands via the Tools menu and it seems to be going well so far. FTC is definitely something desirable, and I guess getting everything into .NET is probably worthwhile for the development team anyway, so it's just a matter of time.
  • Has this been sorted for Studio 2019? I.e. will DRagin Pro work in Studio 2019?
  • Hi, ,

Has this been addressed in latest releases of Studio (Studio 2019 or Studio 2021)?

It is of course a productivity issue for many but it is mainly an accessibility problem.

Daniel

• That is an interesting question -- not with respect to Studio 2019 or 2021, which don't offer full text control, and I doubt that the next versions will either.

But I haven't tried the new cloud version of Studio yet (I am still cautious about installing Studio 2021).

Did SDL design a new up-to-date user interface for the cloud version, instead of the decades-old interface on the regular version of Studio?

• Hi Daniel,

There hasn't been any work done to specifically address this issue as far as I know.  It's still exactly the same technology in the Studio editor as it's always been.

Former Member

Hi Bruce,

Did SDL design a new up-to-date user interface for the cloud version, instead of the decades-old interface on the regular version of Studio?

Well... if it was actually possible to simply put the old interface directly into a browser we surely would have done it.  It might be old but it still carries significant advantages over anything possible with browser technology.

However, it has of course been completely rebuilt from scratch.  How compatible it is with DNS in this regard... you should probably test yourself (which you could do if you had Trados Studio 2021), or perhaps someone like  could tell you what her experiences are using DNS in the browser environment.

• Hello Daniel. I just checked and confirmed you can use Dragon in the online version of SDL TRADOS 2021. I'm in fact dictating this comment to you using Dragon. If you try for example to use Dragon in chrome, the message below should appear then just click on the link and go and get the extension. In this respect, as far as I know, the fact that Dragon can work inside the Chrome browser is more important than the actual online webpage, if you see what I mean. Confession: I had to spell letter by letter the middle name of the software to get it to be recognised!

• PS I just tried Firefox. The good news: 

The bad news: