Newby questions about dictation in SDL Trados

Hello everyone,

I am both a Mac user and a Studio 2017 user and I am considering moving to dictation to reduce strain on my body, but I have many doubts.

I have tried to enable my Mac dictation feature and, while I find it satisfactory in the Mac environment, results in the virtual machine (whether inside SDL Studio or outside, for instance in Microsoft Word) were really disappointing. However, I am using old Mac hardware/software (Mac OS X 10.11), so things may be much better if I had newer versions.

I have a bunch of questions about the whole dictation thing, whether on Mac or Windows:

- Can a translator using dictation (be it Mac Dictation or Dragon Naturally Speaking) dictate the text only or can dictation be used also to implement full Studio commands, for instance open and edit Project Settings, insert tags, use ribbon commands, etc.?

- Does dictation work well with AutoSuggest just like typing? I'd like to leverage it just as much as I do now.

- Not sure if the best solution would be to buy a new expensive iMac and use its built-in dictation feature for use on Studio running on VMware Fusion, or to accept the idea of buying a much cheaper Windows computer (which one?) plus DNS for use with Studio. I have been a happy Mac user for almost a decade now and I don't feel much like going back to Windows, but I am not sure either solution would be hassle-free. My goal is to drastically reduce typing.

Do you have any suggestions about all this?