Support preTranslation tags in Draft/Review spaces

Has anyone figured out how to support preTranslation tags in Draft/Review Spaces? I know they are not supported out of the box in Collective Spaces, but we use preTranslation tags to keep our translation costs down, and they show up as errors/ unconfigured elements in Draft/Review Spaces, like to figure out a more graceful way to fail.

Thanks in advance for any direction.

• Hi Akheil,

preTranslation tags only appear on target language content that was generated over customization endpoint 'ITargetXmlFileGenerateContext ' where the typical implementation is indeed 'pre-translation'. Those target languages will loose those preTranslations structures:

• Upon the next submit of the target language xml. So in practice when translations come in, they come in without these preTranslations or these preTranslations tags get purged upon Checkin/Update.
    • When releasing these target language xml. Then also the Purge interface of TD14SP3 - Translation management plugin interfaces is triggered.

According to TD14SP3 - Deprecated, Obsolete and Restrictions

• The pre-translation feature is already deprecated for multiple releases. The Translation management extension where pre-translation relies on, through interfaces like ITargetXmlFileGenerateContext and siblings, is also deprecated as of Tridion Docs 14 SP2. Note that Collective Spaces does not respect the Translation Management extension interface - so in practice purging pre-translation is simply not happening and Collective Spaces doesn't know how to handle <pretranslation> tags.

As preTranslation tags can technically in the past have been configured on 'any' xml element, it would mean that you would have to extend the Draft/Review Space configuration to render it on any location. In practice I would strongly advise against that; I don't think it is even feasible as you'll have to extend DTD/XSDs and more as well.

The best way forward is to purge the preTranslation tags from the xml and save them back in the repository. So in practice it means to remove the source language xml block inside the preTranslation tags and keep the 'preTranslated' target language xml block. That is in essence the logic of PurgePreTranslation.

Hope this helps somewhat,

Dave