"For optimum performance, we recommend 4 GB RAM"

The SDL website states that the minimum requirements for Studio 2017 is 2 GB. It also says that "for optimum performance, we recommend 4 GB RAM". Does that mean that more than 4 GB (lets say 32 GB) of memory will not have an influence on performance?

12 Replies Latest Replies: 1 Feb 2017 6:00 PM by Epameinondas Soufleros < 1   2   3  >
  • We are dealing with text, no matter how complex the format; we are not dealing with video. Therefore, I find it very unlikely for you to need more than 4 GB of RAM for Trados Studio—unless there’s a memory leak, which is abnormal behaviour.

On second thought, their recommendation is for the total RAM of the system, which will be taxed by all running processes. So, some more RAM would not hurt, for sure. I think 8 GB have become standard nowadays, even on laptops.

• Hi Toon,

More RAM never hurts as this will help you with running multiple applications together on a 64-bit system. Studio can't use more than windows will allocate to a 32-bit system anyway so it's not going to make a difference you can see. The best gain as far as Studio is concerned is in access times, and this is best achieved through installing an SSD drive, or purchasing a machine with one installed already.

People like can lecture you chapter and verse on the benefits of this!

Regards

Paul
  • In reply to Paul Filkin:

Thank you all,

I'm planning on buying a new computer this year. I'm so much in love with my Mac environment, but I'm weighing options to maybe move back to Windows.

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to figure out for example if using a 6GB TM in a project (or even several of those) would benefit from this. At the moment I'm using 4GB, SSD and 2,6 GHZ Intel I5 on a Macbook Pro. (8GB in total with 4GB assigned to the windows process). I realize we're only dealing with text, but lots of it can create heavy files.

It would be interesting to know if Studio loads the TM's into memory or if it needs to access the TM from the SSD for every individual call. A tool like TMLookup by Andras Farkas is extremely fast, and running a search in a multi-GB TMX file just takes a fraction of a second. I guess it must load everything into its memory, although I do not really know how it works.

• In reply to Toon Theuwis:

Honestly and really only my opinion: running Windows on Mac is like putting a Trabbi engine into a Ferrari. I wouldn't expect any performance boosts or whatsoever when using Mac. In the end of the day you run Windows on an average PC then.
    I have bought my main PC last year. It is a Dell XPS with i7 6700k and 24 GB RAM. Windows is installed on a SSD (256 GB, factory mounted). This PC also has a "usual" spinning HDD (Seagate desktop, 2 TB). I have used to have my TMs and TBs there, until Studio 2017 came out. As the performance wasn't over average, I have installed a Kingston HyperX 240 GB SSD and put all TMs/TBs there. The performance boost was huge.
    Of course you can only use as much RAM with Windows 64bit, so I wouldn't install anything else than Win64 Pro. In my case this is Win10 64bit Pro and I am really satisfied with both the PC and OS-
  • In reply to Toon Theuwis:

If the TM was held in memory, then an SSD wouldn’t make any difference.
    I would suggest a Windows machine with one of the all-new Intel 7th gen processors. They have lots of great new features and they have been designed to make the most of Windows 10.
< 1   2   3  >
Related