Windows Server 2012: how to unlock job.dpd file in a division?

We have XPP 9.2 running on Windows Server 2012. People, on Windows PCs and Macs, access XPP via Remote Desktop.

A user on a Mac via Remote Desktop was editing a division when their computer crashed, leaving a division locked. Now she can't edit the division because the job.dpd file is locked in that division. How do we unlock a file on Windows Server 2012?

The error message XPP sends is "Cannot access JOB - Files in use".

Thank you!

p.s. We have to use Macs, so there will be a lot of lockups.

Parents Reply
  • I see that you did open up a Case with support; that was the right thing to do at this point.

I will note that in the screen snap you provided of the Computer Management/System Tools/Shared Folders/Open Files utility, that it shows a job.dpd file listed with #Locks = 0 (by another user "lgearheart", and not the highlighted "lthompson" user).

There is more than one type of "lock" on files, and I'm doubtful that this utility is showing the kind of lock that's used by XPP on the job.dpd file (and other files that are locked by XPP). If the utility was showing the right kind of locks (used by XPP) then each job.dpd listed should have #Locks set to > 0 on them.

And as I mentioned with the type of locking used by XPP, if the process owning the lock is still around (in any form) then I don't think there's anything you can "run" to release the lock other than something that completely "kills" that process.

I  see Support suggested the Handle utility might help. That's a command-line based tool. There are also GUI-base tools like Process Explorer and Process Manager that might be of use.

Children
No Data