How I type a figure rule or (en rule without space in 2 sides) in unix system with Xyvision?

Hi there,

How can I type a figure rule or (en rule without space in 2 sides) in Xyvision in Unix system?

I have tried ctr+'-' but it output a en-rule with space in 2 sides. It is not ideal when we setting table, is it any way to work around it?

Best regards,

Norman 

Parents
  • Hi Jonathan, Yes, (Unicode x2012). So far I can only use ctr+'-' to type it. However, it has space in two sides and doesn't look good with numbers. Best regards, Norman
  • Norman,

The different keyboards used in your xpp system can be configured by your sys admin. So not knowing what has been done to your system it is difficult to predict where on your xpp system the figure dash can be found.

What will always work once you know the Unicode (hex) value of a character is to hit SHIFT/F2 + the unicode value (2012) + return.

Warning: if you are using the PostScript font setup (or any other type 1 PS font) as delivered with the system, you will get a 'missing character' error and on the xyview you will see a reverse question mark. That is because these fonts do not contain such a character. But if you are using modern OpenType fonts with extended character sets that character is included.

Remark: I could not find the figure dash (U+2012) in the standard delivered keyboard 0 or 1. It could be in any of the other delivered keyboards but I did not feel like looking in all of them :-)

Good luck

Bart

• Just to add to what Bart said ... the Ctrl+'-' sequence results in the x2212 (minus sign or text minus) character, which is not the same as the x2012 (figure dash) character. And just typing a '-' character results in the x002D (hyphen) character.

AFAIK, XPP does not OOTB define the x2012 character in the delivered XCS spec (which is not a requirement to use this character) nor in any of the delivered XPP keyboards.

I wonder if either the x2013 (en dash) or x2014 (em dash) characters would give you what you want?

The Ctrl+Shift+'~' key sequence (with XPP Standard keyboard) should give you the x2013 character and Ctrl+Shift+'-' key sequence should give you the x2014 character (if those characters are defined in the currently active font/FAST). Or you can do Shift+F2 '2' '0' '1' '3' Enter or Shift+F2 '2' '0' '1' '4' Enter. These two characters are also defined on the XPP 'd' and 'w' keyboards.

If you really do need the x2012 figure dash character and you have a font (FAST) that contains it, then as Bart said you can do Shift+F2 '2' '0' '1' '2' Enter. Or you can customize one of the XPP keyboards to define a key sequence for the x2012 character. The documentation should describe how to do that if you're not familiar with it, or SDL Support can help if needed.

Note: When the XButtons window has been activated in the XyView, any Ctrl sequences it defines for its buttons - indicated by button labels that start with a e.g. "(c)" prefix (meaning Ctrl+c) - will override any Ctrl sequence defined for the active XPP keyboard. So keep that in mind when picking a key sequence.

• Hi Jonathan,

Thanks again.

The ctr+shift+'~' is exactly what I want. Of course I would also thanks for how to typing unicde as well.

Best regards,

Norman
Reply Children
No Data