Options to extend and customize Trados Studio

I'm absolutely sure that Trados Studio is the most customizable product on the market. To me this a no brainer; all you have to do is to go to the SDL AppStore and have a look at the number of plugins and applications that are available. And that is not all, because there are at least the same number of customizations carried out which are not published on the store because they are built to f... Read the full text.
Parents
  • This sounds like it's written by someone without enough imagination how stuff can (or should) work.

If the "one bloated application with millions of plugins" concept would be that great, all the Unix world - proven to be highly effective by decades of its history - would be using it. But it's not.

My comments to the standalone application "cons":

> If your application works with the Project Automation API it must be deployed in the Trados Studio application folder.

Not entirely true, ref. to PowerShell Toolkit for example.

Plus, any such need is NOT a consequence of "I want a standalone application", but rather an "API short-sightedly designed for plugins only" (or a limitation caused by the .NET hell maybe?)

> Need to run a separate application besides Trados Studio.

Heh... this is actually a PRO: "NO NEED to run Trados Studio" and have to do a million of clicks to do my stuff in there...

> The Provided features will not be in the context of Trados Studio workflows.

That's not the standalone app concept's fault... but rather a problem of the bad design, see above.

> No support provided in the future Trados Studio appstore integration.

Again, that's SDL's fault, not the standalone app's :-\

> The developer must create a custom installer.

Doh, why?! Do you really believe that applications MUST have an installer?

Is this perhaps based on the .NET hell experience, where applications install countless amount of hundreds-of-megabytes DLLs and similar crap?

There is enough applications around which are just standalone EXE, with only dependencies on standard OS built-in libraries, without the need to write a bunch of crap to registry etc. One can simply run the EXE right away and that's it - THAT is what deserves to be called a good application.

The entire article seems to be a highly biased, the list of "cons" of standalone apps seems to be artificially made-up just to make it look bad :-\.

Comment
  • This sounds like it's written by someone without enough imagination how stuff can (or should) work.

If the "one bloated application with millions of plugins" concept would be that great, all the Unix world - proven to be highly effective by decades of its history - would be using it. But it's not.

My comments to the standalone application "cons":

> If your application works with the Project Automation API it must be deployed in the Trados Studio application folder.

Not entirely true, ref. to PowerShell Toolkit for example.

Plus, any such need is NOT a consequence of "I want a standalone application", but rather an "API short-sightedly designed for plugins only" (or a limitation caused by the .NET hell maybe?)

> Need to run a separate application besides Trados Studio.

Heh... this is actually a PRO: "NO NEED to run Trados Studio" and have to do a million of clicks to do my stuff in there...

> The Provided features will not be in the context of Trados Studio workflows.

That's not the standalone app concept's fault... but rather a problem of the bad design, see above.

> No support provided in the future Trados Studio appstore integration.

Again, that's SDL's fault, not the standalone app's :-\

> The developer must create a custom installer.

Doh, why?! Do you really believe that applications MUST have an installer?

Is this perhaps based on the .NET hell experience, where applications install countless amount of hundreds-of-megabytes DLLs and similar crap?

There is enough applications around which are just standalone EXE, with only dependencies on standard OS built-in libraries, without the need to write a bunch of crap to registry etc. One can simply run the EXE right away and that's it - THAT is what deserves to be called a good application.

The entire article seems to be a highly biased, the list of "cons" of standalone apps seems to be artificially made-up just to make it look bad :-\.

Children
No Data